Question B450 and ryzen 5 2700 not booting after cpu fan wasn’t on properly. Ram is in right place, it was running fine earlier

Aug 23, 2019
it was running fine then suddenly it crashed cause cpu overheated i think, i took of cpu cooler to see if there was a problem. Put it back on and it didn’t boot up when i turned it on, no video output. Fans are spinning and LEDs work that aren’t on motherboard. motherboard LEDs aren’t working. I think it might have something to do with the act 12v but the thing is i only have a 4 pin and it’s a 8 pin, i still plug it in in the slots closest to cpu. Earlier it was working and was in the middle of a overwatch game when it crashed, anything i can do to help it boot again? tommorow i’m going to completely build it again after taking it apart

Aug 23, 2019
Power supply make and model?
Motherboard?

Your motherboard requires an 8-pin connection, but you only plugged in a single 4-pin? And now mobo doesn't light up?
Sounds like you killed the mobo(via a some kind of short)...
motherboard is a b450 auros and power supply is 550w 80plus certified gold i think, i also have a 1060. i can return the motherboard if i fucked it up. But hopefully that isn’t the case since i already had stuff on the computer

Aug 23, 2019
You took off the cpu cooler....once you had the cooler off did you clean it and apply new thermal paste?
i cleaned off the cpu cooler bottom but i though the thermal paste on the cpu was fine, thanks for letting me know i need to do that. This is my first build and no one where i live has any clue how this stuff works

i cleaned off the cpu cooler bottom but i though the thermal paste on the cpu was fine, thanks for letting me know i need to do that. This is my first build and no one where i live has any clue how this stuff works
Whenever you take the cooler off the CPU, you should clean all of the thermal paste off and put new on. However, I doubt that would be causing the system not to boot. If you have spare thermal paste around, then I'd recommend taking both the cooler and CPU out, then putting them in, remembering to clean and add new thermal paste.

Also, do you know what the manufacturer and model of the PSU is? It should be on the sticker. Although all Gold rated PSUs are typically good quality, it is still worth double checking.
Also, something to double check, is the PC actually plugged into the mains power? Checks switches, and the connection to both the wall socket and PSU socket. Also make sure all the power connectors are connected to the motherboard too, and graphics card if applicable.

Lastly, how did the PC crash? Did it just go black/no signal? Was it a blue screen of death? Did it just freeze?

Aug 23, 2019
Whenever you take the cooler off the CPU, you should clean all of the thermal paste off and put new on. However, I doubt that would be causing the system not to boot. If you have spare thermal paste around, then I'd recommend taking both the cooler and CPU out, then putting them in, remembering to clean and add new thermal paste.

Also, do you know what the manufacturer and model of the PSU is? It should be on the sticker. Although all Gold rated PSUs are typically good quality, it is still worth double checking.
Also, something to double check, is the PC actually plugged into the mains power? Checks switches, and the connection to both the wall socket and PSU socket. Also make sure all the power connectors are connected to the motherboard too, and graphics card if applicable.

Lastly, how did the PC crash? Did it just go black/no signal? Was it a blue screen of death? Did it just freeze?
it wasn’t even a blue screen, it just froze then crashed mid game and it black screened and it didn’t give idle output after