[SOLVED] B450 Aorus and Ryzen 3600, BIOS upgrade?

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
So,
I'm buying one of these:
Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard

To go with one of these:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz 6 Core (Socket AM4) CPU

And PC Part picker states:
"Warning! Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions. "

But CCL Online offer:
"Motherboard BIOS Update Service

Purchase a B450/X470 motherboard, Ryzen 3000 series processor, and our BIOS Update Service, and we'll update the motherboard to the latest BIOS before shipping for FREE (normally £9.99).

Please note: The new BIOS that supports Ryzen 3000 series processors may be missing features of previous versions. Known features to be potentially removed include support for A-series & Athlon processors, the removal of RAID support, or other reductions in features. Please check the support page of your chosen motherboard on the manufacturer's website to confirm the features being added/removed by updating to the latest BIOS before purchase."

So just wanted to ask, any concerns over the BIOS update hampering future use of the mobo, with some features removed? I've checked and no mention in the manual / support documentation for the board.

TBH I chose this mobo for ease, good spread of ports, and the MSI ones there was some suggestion in other posts that you see a lot of threads asking for help with them.
Plus I'm using an old gigabyte board that I've had much joy and stability with (DQ67SW)

As ever, thank you for any help.

Solution
Well if the motherboard BIOS is not updated to the F40 out of the box and has an earlier BIOS version, your system won't POST.
The board might be updated or it might not... this can only be tested by trying to boot up the system.

You need your BIOS updated to the F40 version for the Ryzen 5 3600 to work with it. Most likely a BIOS update will be mandatory.
Well if the motherboard BIOS is not updated to the F40 out of the box and has an earlier BIOS version, your system won't POST.
The board might be updated or it might not... this can only be tested by trying to boot up the system.

You need your BIOS updated to the F40 version for the Ryzen 5 3600 to work with it. Most likely a BIOS update will be mandatory.

Last edited:
Solution

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

I'm hoping the CCL Online BIOS update covers this off. I have no idea how to update the BIOS otherwise.

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
So,
I'm buying one of these:
Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard

To go with one of these:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz 6 Core (Socket AM4) CPU

And PC Part picker states:
"Warning! Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions. "

But CCL Online offer:
"Motherboard BIOS Update Service

Purchase a B450/X470 motherboard, Ryzen 3000 series processor, and our BIOS Update Service, and we'll update the motherboard to the latest BIOS before shipping for FREE (normally £9.99).

Please note: The new BIOS that supports Ryzen 3000 series processors may be missing features of previous versions. Known features to be potentially removed include support for A-series & Athlon processors, the removal of RAID support, or other reductions in features. Please check the support page of your chosen motherboard on the manufacturer's website to confirm the features being added/removed by updating to the latest BIOS before purchase."

So just wanted to ask, any concerns over the BIOS update hampering future use of the mobo, with some features removed? I've checked and no mention in the manual / support documentation for the board.

TBH I chose this mobo for ease, good spread of ports, and the MSI ones there was some suggestion in other posts that you see a lot of threads asking for help with them.
Plus I'm using an old gigabyte board that I've had much joy and stability with (DQ67SW)

As ever, thank you for any help.
Buy msi b450 tomahawk max
It's less headache
No need to update bios
Better vrm
Roughly the same price

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Buy msi b450 tomahawk max
It's less headache
No need to update bios
Better vrm
Roughly the same price

Thank you.
I did some research and Tomahawk had more issues with it from what I read? Quite a few people saying they'd had problems.
Performance was the same based on benchmarks I reviewed.
Is VRM relevant if I don't overclock (and if I did would be only a little)

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019