[SOLVED] B450 AORUS PRO WIFI Won't Power Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbsmall

Prominent
Aug 2, 2018
All,

First time building a computer and I can't seem to get power to the motherboard.

PSU was taken from another working computer.

Any thoughts? I thought it would be as simple as just plugging in the ATX and ATX_12v connectors.

Specs as follows.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterAir MA410M 53.38 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Western Digital - SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Power Supply: Corsair - CX 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX

Note: I did not add a GPU as I haven't gotten one yet but I do have some older Radeon cards I can use. Do I have to have a GPU just to get power to the board?

Solution
If anyone still cares. The issue was a faulty case power switch. I grabbed a power switch from another case and it worked just fine. Next time I will use a screwdriver to carefully jump the power pins on the motherboard to see if that works.

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
My idea is you may proceed first to verify ALL the connections between cables and connectors, to check if it is properly plugged, even the power cord of the PSU. After, verify your switch power button on the PSU if it exists. You already do that ?
And then, check again if all the required cables are installed.

Last edited:

cbsmall

Prominent
Aug 2, 2018
I ran this test from Corsair.
View: https://youtu.be/5FWXgQSokF4
and the PSU powered up without issue. It still works with the the other computer I pulled it out of. The two power cables, ATX and ATX_12v only connect one way and the connections look tight. I am using a M.2 SSD on the motherboard as the initial drive so there aren't any other critical devices to plug the PSU into.

cbsmall

Prominent
Aug 2, 2018
No power to the board at all. The CPU cooler fans don't fire up and the other fan connected directly to the motherboard doesn't fire up. Without a GPU I would expect the motherboard to power up but issue some beeps to let me know there is a GPU problem. When I get home I will try adding the GPU in and see if that helps.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Is it possible to test with another psu? Maybe from a friend or local shop ...

That the psu can power a fan doesn't mean it can powr a whole system. Don't think that adding a gpu will help. Other possibility is you have something wired up wrong or maybe motherboard is just doa.If you hook up just the motherboard do any lights on it work? It has some led lights.

cbsmall

Prominent
Aug 2, 2018
Is it possible to test with another psu? Maybe from a friend or local shop ...

That the psu can power a fan doesn't mean it can powr a whole system. Don't think that adding a gpu will help. Other possibility is you have something wired up wrong or maybe motherboard is just doa.If you hook up just the motherboard do any lights on it work? It has some led lights.

I just purchased another PSU and will try that tonight. When I hook up the old PSU and turn it on the motherboard does not light up at all.

logainofhades

Titan
You have to have a GPU, to get any video. The outputs on the motherboard, are only for APU's, like the 2200g/2400g. Take the whole board out, and set it on a box, and try running it that way. You may need to use a screwdriver, to jump the power switch connection. This will rule out any issues with the case. You might also have to remove the heatsink, and CPU, and verify you did not bend any pins, on the CPU itself, during installation.

cbsmall

Prominent
Aug 2, 2018
You have to have a GPU, to get any video. The outputs on the motherboard, are only for APU's, like the 2200g/2400g. Take the whole board out, and set it on a box, and try running it that way. You may need to use a screwdriver, to jump the power switch connection. This will rule out any issues with the case. You might also have to remove the heatsink, and CPU, and verify you did not bend any pins, on the CPU itself, during installation.
Purple,

I will try that. At this stage, I was not trying to get any video output I was just trying to get the CPU cooler fans to fire up so I know I am getting power to the board.

cbsmall

Prominent
Aug 2, 2018
UPDATE:

New PSU did not help. Seating a video card did not help. Re-seating cooler to CPU did not help. Installing stock cooler to CPU did not help. I am sending the board back as "DOA" to Newegg.

cbsmall

Prominent
Aug 2, 2018
If anyone still cares. The issue was a faulty case power switch. I grabbed a power switch from another case and it worked just fine. Next time I will use a screwdriver to carefully jump the power pins on the motherboard to see if that works.

Solution

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Yes we do and very much as well.

Good you found your problem.(y) It's also nice to have shared this with us. Now others and we as well can learn from it. We should have considered the power switch,but it is also so easy to overlook. Well something to remember for a next time.;)

Since it's working now .... have fun!

Reactions: cbsmall
Status
Not open for further replies.