[SOLVED] b450 bios update advice

xnzm96

Reputable
Dec 18, 2018
so i'm building a new pc waiting for my 3700x to arrive in the mean time i was going to do the bios update was just wondering if i need to put the mobo in the case or i can just rest in on the box and do the update?

also would it just be possible to wait for my cpu build the pc do the update then boot up or will it not work with the cpu installed first build sorry for the dumb questions

Solution
You don't need the board to be in the case. Plug in the psu and it will work.

Download the latest bios from MSIs site.
Name it MSI.rom
Put it on the USB stick.
Plug psu and USB stick into the board.
Press button.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
As for updating the BIOS out of the case, that's no problem - assuming you have the other components.

As for waiting for new CPU, depends on the motherboard make and model specifically (i.e. manufacturer) as some support a USB based update now without a compatible CPU (like some MSI boards). If not, you need a currently supported CPU installed to update the BIOS.

xnzm96

Reputable
Dec 18, 2018
As for updating the BIOS out of the case, that's no problem - assuming you have the other components.

As for waiting for new CPU, depends on the motherboard make and model specifically (i.e. manufacturer) as some support a USB based update now without a compatible CPU (like some MSI boards). If not, you need a currently supported CPU installed to update the BIOS.
yeah my bad it's a b450 tomahawk i can do it via usb

TRENDING THREADS