[SOLVED] B450 boards for ryzen 3800x overclocking?

Jun 7, 2019
I have recently picked up an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC B450 board to prepare for the zen2 launch, Im going to be getting either a 3700x or a 3800x. I know a 3700x will be perfectly fine on this board but am wondering will a 3800x with a 105w TDP be a bit much for this board? I plan on doing slight overclocks to the cpu and overclocking my memory to its advertised speed of 3200mhz or even a little higher. Do you guys think this board will be good enough? Thanks.

Solution
I don't claim to be a VRM expert, but Buildzoid from Actually Hardcore Overclocking quite likes the VRM on that specific board and says it would be "borderline capable" of a 1.4V all core OC on the 2700x. That's a pretty hefty overclock for that 8 core 12nm CPU which results in a substantial power draw.

We won't really know what Zen 2 power consumption does when overclocked until reviewers start getting their hands on it, but it's safe to say IMHO that a board which can handle the 2700x @ 1.4V would absolutely be capable of the "slight overclock" you're looking for with the 3800x. Sure there's 50% more cores, but the 7nm process is much more efficient clock for clock.

Check out the video:
I don't claim to be a VRM expert, but Buildzoid from Actually Hardcore Overclocking quite likes the VRM on that specific board and says it would be "borderline capable" of a 1.4V all core OC on the 2700x. That's a pretty hefty overclock for that 8 core 12nm CPU which results in a substantial power draw.

We won't really know what Zen 2 power consumption does when overclocked until reviewers start getting their hands on it, but it's safe to say IMHO that a board which can handle the 2700x @ 1.4V would absolutely be capable of the "slight overclock" you're looking for with the 3800x. Sure there's 50% more cores, but the 7nm process is much more efficient clock for clock.

Check out the video:

Reactions: Reqfu1
Solution

marthanaan

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019
I have recently picked up an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC B450 board to prepare for the zen2 launch, Im going to be getting either a 3700x or a 3800x. I know a 3700x will be perfectly fine on this board but am wondering will a 3800x with a 105w TDP be a bit much for this board? I plan on doing slight overclocks to the cpu and overclocking my memory to its advertised speed of 3200mhz or even a little higher. Do you guys think this board will be good enough? Thanks.
Man i just got ASRock X370M for my rig and it's awesome i do like the Chipset maybe it's a little outdated but i need the Crossfire support for my upcoming upgrade, hopefully the X370 will and can support the Ryzen 3 series in the future

Reactions: Reqfu1
Jun 7, 2019

Check out the video:
Thanks so much man. Watching the video as we speak, and will make sure i watch all of the reviews I can come July 7th to make sure its what I want.

Jun 7, 2019
Man i just got ASRock X370M for my rig and it's awesome i do like the Chipset maybe it's a little outdated but i need the Crossfire support for my upcoming upgrade, hopefully the X370 will and can support the Ryzen 3 series in the future
I know some of the x370 boards will work with zen2, havent seen anything for ASRock yet though, hopefully they will support it!