Question B450 Gaming Plus Max - slow post / boot time

jeemerimah

Distinguished
May 18, 2012
As above - This is a brand new build with an NVMe M.2 SSD and it's taking longer to boot than my cheap old Kingston SSD did on my 8 year old pc!

I've tried the following:
  • Flashed BIOS to latest version
  • A-XMP is enabled on profile 1
  • UEFI/CSM is set to UEFI
  • ERP ready is disabled
  • Legacy USB support is disabled
  • Full screen logo display is disabled
  • Boot is set to my main NVMe ssd then USB. All other devices are disabled.
  • Edit: I also installed the latest chipset drivers
Doing all of the above has gotten the "Last BIOS time" show in Task Manager down from about 24 seconds to 16.5 seconds. If I actually time it from pressing the power button until I hit windows it is nearer 30 seconds though, it takes a while just to post.

I appreciate this is major "first world problems" territory, but is this expected? I'd have imagined I'd be seeing faster times with an NVMe drive - and the fact it takes a few seconds to even post seems odd.

Last edited:

exroofer

Distinguished
Is it taking longer to boot, or longer to post and boot?
I see you are aware of longish post times.
Are these times with the ethernet cable unplugged?
I find my boot times are significantly affected by my " Launch on Startup" programs depending on whether they decide they need... something. Also, login delays on said software can slow it down. Steam is guilty of this once in a while. Windows OneDrive as well. Which I think is on by default.
I am on a M.2 NVMe as well.

jeemerimah

Distinguished
May 18, 2012
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

b450 gaming plus max
3700x
16gb ddr4 corsair vengeance 3200mhz / 16 cas
700w be quiet pure power 11, 80 plus gold
1TB Intel SSD 660p nvme m.2
4tb seagate 7200rpm exos
gigabyte rtx 2070 super

Is it taking longer to boot, or longer to post and boot?
I see you are aware of longish post times.
Are these times with the ethernet cable unplugged?
I find my boot times are significantly affected by my " Launch on Startup" programs depending on whether they decide they need... something. Also, login delays on said software can slow it down. Steam is guilty of this once in a while. Windows OneDrive as well. Which I think is on by default.
I am on a M.2 NVMe as well.

Maybe a little longer to boot than I expected - but it's particularly the time to post that confuses me. Black screen for at least a couple of seconds, white underscore on a black screen for a few seconds, then post.

This is all with wifi only, unfortunately I'm too far from the router to connect with ethernet. This was happening right from fresh windows install - I have since gotten rid of one drive and although I've added a few programs I tend to turn off launch on startup, including in game launchers. All that runs on startup currently is icue, lghub and rainmeter.

exroofer

Distinguished
Oh, so if I read that right, your post times are more where your question lies.
In my limited ( as in a single, upgraded Ryzen system that I have personally worked on) experience, post times increase(d) or decreased a smidge depending how much bios tweaking I had done, and how hard I was pushing things. Resulting in sometimes two cycles for it to post fully. or longer stages, like memtest function, which can attempt your settings... three times I think? Can't remember.
This is from actually watching the post codes go by in the onboard led on the board, so I could see which parts took longer. Depending on memory quality and how much you are asking of it.
So when we run xmp'd ram at a fair bit above rated (base JEDEC for ddr4 is... 2133 right? ) it can take a sec to get through post. Now if it dropped to platter HD boot times, my head would explode. But 5 or 10 seconds I can live with given the speed I get after I am up and running.

All of the above is based only on my experience. YMMV