B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC  and  B450 TOMAHAWK bios updating

Oct 23, 2018
Hi. I've found that in order to use ryzen 2nd generation cpu on b350 i need to update bios, for which i need ryzen 1st generation cpu in order to do it. So if i have b450, and when ryzen 3rd generation comes out, i'll probably need ryzen 1st or 2nd generation to update bios so that my b450 can support it. 

So, my questeion is, does this apply also to B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC    and    B450 Tomahawk? Do they have some systems to negate this, like being able to boot system without cpu on it?

I hope I posted thread in apropriate place.

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018

As far as I know, you cannot boot a PC without a CPU. So I very much doubt the existence of such systems.

Ryzen 3rd gen isn't even out yet, but it is likely it will require a BIOS update for older boards, same as with 2nd gen.

So yeah, there is no way around needing a compatible CPU for the BIOS update. Good news is, the Athlon 200GE provides a very affordable CPU for doing these upgrades.

Being able to update the Bios without the CPU is not uncommon, precisely for issues like this.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK

5th line up from the bottom of the list of features, this is what you are looking for on any other mobo.

ethanmarti1598

Upstanding
Apr 5, 2018

Well, seems I was wrong. I'm a bit out of touch with more recent machines. Thanks for the help, and please accept my apologies for the wrong information, OP.