[SOLVED] B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC..MSI says "Supports DDR4-3466+(OC) MemoryDDR4 3400mhz". Is that true? Can I drop in higher clock speed RAM at some point?

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Hi fellow PC enthusiasts! Listen...the last 4 months had me going from a out-dated computer, to myself, complete with drive and enthusiasm building what I consider a optimum PC for gaming and other tasks: Ryzen 7 3700x, RTX 2060 Super FE, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard (latest BIOS of course!), 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (clocked XMP @ 3200mhz). QUESTION: if I wanted to swap out the ram for DDR4 3600mhz, would it work on my system? Excuse me guys/gals, I am a "lazy over-clocker"meaning I just set the XMP profile and go from there! What say you? Thank you, in advance!

Solution
The +OC means that the board's traces and topology are capable of that speed, if the RAM itself and the CPU's memory controller are capable. Since Zen 2 officially only supports JEDEC 3200MT/s, anything faster than that is considered overclocking and not guaranteed to work out of the box without additional tuning, such as raising your memory controller voltage, ect.

Since you say you are lazy, you might not want to bother. But if you did want to bother, I'd first try and see how far you can push the RAM kit that you already have. It might even do better than 3600MT/s. You never know.
Hi fellow PC enthusiasts! Listen...the last 4 months had me going from a out-dated computer, to myself, complete with drive and enthusiasm building what I consider a optimum PC for gaming and other tasks: Ryzen 7 3700x, RTX 2060 Super FE, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard (latest BIOS of course!), 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM (clocked XMP @ 3200mhz). QUESTION: if I wanted to swap out the ram for DDR4 3600mhz, would it work on my system? Excuse me guys/gals, I am a "lazy over-clocker"meaning I just set the XMP profile and go from there! What say you? Thank you, in advance!
3600 shouldn't be a problem with newest BIOS.

The +OC means that the board's traces and topology are capable of that speed, if the RAM itself and the CPU's memory controller are capable. Since Zen 2 officially only supports JEDEC 3200MT/s, anything faster than that is considered overclocking and not guaranteed to work out of the box without additional tuning, such as raising your memory controller voltage, ect.

Since you say you are lazy, you might not want to bother. But if you did want to bother, I'd first try and see how far you can push the RAM kit that you already have. It might even do better than 3600MT/s. You never know.

Solution