Question B450 mobo choice

Duje Gunjaca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
So this summer i will be buying a new pc. Ryzen 2600/2600x. And i was wondering best mobo to pair it up with. The budged for the mobo is like 100euro(same amount in dollar cause pc parts cost the same basicly for a 100usd mobo you pay in eu 100 euro, what can you do). Atx/matx both are okay.
I was thinking about aorus b450m, msi mortar b450m. Anyother choices you recommend and which one of these 2 is better.

....msi mortar b450m...

If that's available to you it is the clear best choice for AM4 mATX boards. It has a very strong VRM with on of the best heatsinks on any B450 board. It can safely overclock even 8 core CPU's as well as mid-range x470 boards. It also has two M.2 NVME ports, something not many B450 boards have. The audio and LAN sections are the equal of any other mATX board and better than many. The selection of USB includes two USB 3.1gen2..one with Ty. C connector.

It should also be a good choice if you want to upgrade to Ryzen 3000...MSI has even posted a BIOS update on board support page for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duje Gunjaca

Duje Gunjaca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
Im not bound by matx board atx is also an option. But for me i just dont need atx board option i will have max 2 pcie cards(16x gpu and maybe a net card 4x or whatever) and matx are just quite cheaper with all the options i need are there. And un populated atx like kinda weird to me, too big and most of is never used. But i dont really care if its matx or atx if you can recommend a goos atx option that would be great too.
If that's available to you it is the clear best choice for AM4 mATX boards. It has a very strong VRM with on of the best heatsinks on any B450 board. It can safely overclock even 8 core CPU's as well as mid-range x470 boards. It also has two M.2 NVME ports, something not many B450 boards have. The audio and LAN sections are the equal of any other mATX board and better than many. The selection of USB includes two USB 3.1gen2..one with Ty. C connector.

It should also be a good choice if you want to upgrade to Ryzen 3000...MSI has even posted a BIOS update on board support page for it.

Im not bound by matx board atx is also an option. But for me i just dont need atx board option i will have max 2 pcie cards(16x gpu and maybe a net card 4x or whatever) and matx are just quite cheaper with all the options i need are there. And un populated atx like kinda weird to me, too big and most of is never used. But i dont really care if its matx or atx if you can recommend a goos atx option that would be great too.
MSI B450 Tomahawk is very good, it's pretty much the ATX variant of the Mortar and as well MSI's B450 Gaming Plus.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a 'net card 4x'. But if that's a network (LAN) card then remember that all these boards come standard with GigaBit LAN built-in. If you plan on populating any of the PCIe slots beyond the GPU x16 slot I seriously advise studying how the board uses the lanes as things get populated. Different boards use up lanes in different ways.

I greatly prefer the compact size of mATX...a smaller case on my table top, in particular, is what I want. I'm thinking my next computer build will be miniITX since they are so capable now.

Duje Gunjaca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
[QU
MSI B450 Tomahawk is very good, it's pretty much the ATX variant of the Mortar and as well MSI's B450 Gaming Plus.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a 'net card 4x'. But if that's a network (LAN) card then remember that all these boards come standard with GigaBit LAN built-in. If you plan on populating any of the PCIe slots beyond the GPU x16 slot I seriously advise studying how the board uses the lanes as things get populated. Different boards use up lanes in different ways.

I greatly prefer the compact size of mATX...a smaller case on my table top, in particular, is what I want. I'm thinking my next computer build will be miniITX since they are so capable now.
Wifi receiver card.

Duje Gunjaca

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
Just to say, if you are buying this summer, you realise the B550 motherboards will be coming out no later than Early July, with the new Ryzen 3000 CPU's
Depends on how late in summer you are going to buy a computer.
Yea i am aware but dont really want to wait that long and not sure about the pricing and availability of them in EU. But i will consider it also will consider navi gpu lineup. All depends on the price and rollout of the hardware.

[QU

Wifi receiver card.
Ahh...yes. In any of those boards you'll have a slot to slip one into with no problems.

I'm assuming you have this WiFi card, but if not you might also have interest in MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC, with built-in WiFi. It's kind of top-of-line in most respects, therefore pricier, but the included WiFi may save a purchase there and make it interesting.

And oh yeah...when it comes to availability in the EU I think you have it better there. The B450M Mortar came to the US well after it came available in the EU, and it's currently not available here. You have to buy it from someone who'll import it for you making it heinously expensive. I think the Tomahawk is becoming scarcer here too.

When B550 boards come available I can imagine the same scenario: the better ones available in the EU earlier. And that assumes there actually is a B550 as I don't think there's even so much as an AMD leak about it as there is for the X570.