[SOLVED] B450 Mobo: help me choose

MassRelay

Reputable
Jun 13, 2017
Hi there!

So, I'm upgrading my PC from AM3+ to AM4 (yeah, kinda late to the party, but oh well :)) and here's what's inside:
CPU: Ryzen 2700x
GPU: RX580
Memory: 32Gb kit, haven't bought yet, but kinda leaning to Ballistix (there are only Crucial, HyperX and Patriot in stores right now)
Case: Deepcool Kendomen

The problem is, there are only so many mobos in stock at the moment:
  • ASUS STRIX
  • ASUS TUF in all shapes and sizes and I'm kinda reluctant about them
  • MSI Tomahawk MAX
  • MSI Gaming PLUS MAX
  • MSI MORTAR MAX

All of them fit into my budget, I just got a bit lost. Also, I haven't had an MSI mobo in ages, too, and I have no idea what to expect of them. (Also, an fx-8350 owner in me is screeching What if it's too hot or too small OMG how will I ever cool it all!11)

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions :)

Solution
the mortar has a usb-c port while the gaming plus has a couple rgb strip headers in case you ever decide to go there. about the only major difference i see.

if neither one makes a difference to you, then flip a coin :)

for the same money i'd get the gaming plus for the extra slots on it, but otherwise i don't see much of a difference.

personally though, they are both overpriced to me. i got a gigabit b450 auros pro wifi for $119 but that one seems to be impossible to get anymore. i don't see an extra $100 worth or value in either of those boards.

i understand the out of stock problem. so if you want it now, you'll have to get more than you need if its in stock.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
overall, they will have no problems running the cpu. power and vrm's are good all around.

so what it boils down to for you is the other features. does it have enough usb ports (the ones you need), enough sata ports, dual ethernet, or other feature you need/want. once you narrow them down, then pick the one that looks good to you and is priced right.

this is how i go about picking a motherboard. power delivery first, features next, then finally price and looks.

Last edited:
Reactions: MassRelay

MassRelay

Reputable
Jun 13, 2017
the Mortar is microATX standard (smaller)

Yeah, I know. It's a bit cheaper though (where I am, it's ~$100 vs $150+ for Tomahawk and ~$130 for Gaming plus), so I was wondering if I'll lose something important/if there's some voltage quirk here or there. Thanks for your input!

this is how i go about picking a motherboard. power delivery first, features next, then finally price and looks.
Thank your for your reply :) They all have the features I need and I don't really care how the board will look like, so I'm deciding between a Mortar and a Gaming Plus now, bc hey, if the're pretty much the same, might as well spend a bit less.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the mortar has a usb-c port while the gaming plus has a couple rgb strip headers in case you ever decide to go there. about the only major difference i see.

if neither one makes a difference to you, then flip a coin :)

for the same money i'd get the gaming plus for the extra slots on it, but otherwise i don't see much of a difference.

personally though, they are both overpriced to me. i got a gigabit b450 auros pro wifi for $119 but that one seems to be impossible to get anymore. i don't see an extra $100 worth or value in either of those boards.

i understand the out of stock problem. so if you want it now, you'll have to get more than you need if its in stock.

Solution