[SOLVED] B450 Pro Carbon/Ryzen 3700x not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2020
Hi all,

I'm having trouble to get my new build to start. My specs are below.

The PC will turn on but nothing at all shows on screen. The CPU error light on the motherboard stays red. The GPU appears to be running but the fans aren't spinning. They attempt to every 5 secs or so but budge a little, that's it. Not sure if this is expected or not, or if it's a problem. I've tried removing the BIOS battery too.

The motherboard box stated it was Ryzen 3000 ready, so I don't think a BIOS update is needed.

Any thoughts? Am losing the will to live!

Specs:
B450 Pro Carbon motherboard
Ryzen 3700x CPU
GTX 1070 GPU
Crucial P1 1TB NVMe SSD
G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 2x8GB RAM
1TB HDD

Hi all,

I'm having trouble to get my new build to start. My specs are below.

The PC will turn on but nothing at all shows on screen. The CPU error light on the motherboard stays red. The GPU appears to be running but the fans aren't spinning. They attempt to every 5 secs or so but budge a little, that's it. Not sure if this is expected or not, or if it's a problem. I've tried removing the BIOS battery too.

The motherboard box stated it was Ryzen 3000 ready, so I don't think a BIOS update is needed.

Any thoughts? Am losing the will to live!

Specs:
B450 Pro Carbon motherboard
Ryzen 3700x CPU
GTX 1070 GPU
Crucial P1 1TB NVMe SSD
G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 2x8GB RAM
1TB HDD
Ram in A2 and B2 slots ?
New GPUs don't start fans until certain temperature is reached.

Reactions: xHeadMan

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @xHeadMan

Very nice system you have and it'll kick some arse once it's up and running!

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with this particular mobo & Ryzen 3000 CPU's. It's hit & miss getting a mobo out of the box with a Bios that supports the new 3000 series. Most likely you'll need to update the Bios. Look at the mobo closely or possibly on the box, and it'll tell you which Bios is currently installed. Once we know that we can link to you the correct Bios. A quick look on MSI's site shows support starting with Bios Ver. 7B85v17, though I might be mistaken.

Do you know anyone with a 1000 or 2000 series CPU you could borrow so the system will boot up? If not, you can contact AMD for a loaner CPU so you can flash the bios. You can also take it into the shop and they will do it, but with this quarantine in effect, that'll prob not be for awhile.

Whats your PSU? Are you 100% its working? Do you have all of the power cables correctly connected? Disconnect the HDD & SSD so only the GPU & RAM are installed. Any change? Do you have another GPU you can try to maker sure that it's working correctly?

Let us know. If not sure about the Bios, then take a high res pic of your mobo so we can take a look. Post a pic of the mobo's box as well as the sticker on it might have the Bios version listed.

Last edited:
Reactions: xHeadMan
Mar 18, 2020
Thanks guys. The RAM is in the correct slots.

On the motherboard it says version 1.1 - likely the problem then? Frustrating as it says 3000 ready on the box and the vendor stated it didn't need a BIOS update. Is flashing the BIOS still an option?

PSU should be fine. Its an EVGA Supernova 850 P2, and had no issues a few days ago in my old PC. Same with the GPU.

I've tried disconnecting the drives, still no luck.

Here are some images. Hopefully they've uploaded OK.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Thanks guys!

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Thanks guys. The RAM is in the correct slots.

On the motherboard it says version 1.1 - likely the problem then? Frustrating as it says 3000 ready on the box and the vendor stated it didn't need a BIOS update. Is flashing the BIOS still an option?

PSU should be fine. Its an EVGA Supernova 850 P2, and had no issues a few days ago in my old PC. Same with the GPU.

I've tried disconnecting the drives, still no luck.

Here are some images. Hopefully they've uploaded OK.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Thanks guys!

Found this. Looks like you do not need a loaner CPU or a 1k or 2k series CPU to update the Bios! You'll need a USB drive and the updated Bios. You'll need to do this on a laptop or another PC but you'll be up & running in no time. Watch the Video & let us know how it goes! :)

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020
Hi everyone, just closing this off. Thanks for all your suggestions.

I'd actually not seated the CPU correctly. And there were some bent pins. I didn't raise the bar on the socket when inserting the CPU. What a frightening experience...

Don't be like me guys... Follow the instructions, take your time, and be damn careful with the CPU.

Peace out

Status
Not open for further replies.