Question b450 tomahawk max cant flash bios

mrtopkek

Prominent
Apr 20, 2019
hi,
earlier today I finished assembling my new computer (3600x, b450) and when it was ready to boot up I turned it on and saw that it's not posting. in fact, it didn't show any sign of getting power. I tested the psu on another machine and it works fine so I decided to check my motherboard. after trying to boot up several times and getting nothing I decided to try the flash bios option.

after I downloaded the newest version of bios compatible with this motherboard I pressed the flash bios button and my system started getting power BUT the flash bios led is not turning on.. only the rgb leds on the right side of the motherboard and the cpu debug led... I waited for something around an hour and nothing changed so I decided to shut it down using the psu switch.

I honestly don't know if I got a damaged product or if I'm just losing myself trying to solve it so I came here for help

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Did you rename the file as "MSI.ROM"
Did you use a 16G-32G flash drive preferable USB 2.0 and formatted as FAT32?
Did you use the right port? "Flashback+ port "

If the BIOS does not see the file in the correct order it will not pass it's self-check and will just shut down.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
used an 8gb one, i will try it now with a 16gb one right now.. other than that, yes.

exactly
You used
8gb USB 2.0 Drive formatted as FAT32? The file was renamed "MSI.ROM" and in the correct port, All of this is correct right? They can be really picky about drives, I've had to go out and buy a few just for flashing and make sure my kids don't take them.

mrtopkek

Prominent
Apr 20, 2019
B450 Tomahawk Max does not need a BIOS update to run a Ryzen 5 3600X.

I suggest you post system specs.

Cpu: ryzen 5 3600x
Motherboard: msi b450 tomahawk max
Cpu cooler: cm hyper 212 black edition
Ram: 16gb 3600mhz cl16 g.skill ripjaws
Psu: evga 750bq
Gpu: Currently using a 1050ti, but I'm gonna get a new one in the next weeks.