Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Hey!

I've just bought my new 5900x and im currently running a 2700x with my MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, the new CPU will arrive in the next few days. I've seen a video from Hardware Unboxed where he said that the Tomahawk will handle it perfectly with it's VRM.

So for almost after a year now, can someone confirm that the B450 Tomahawk MAX with 5900x can work with max stock clock speed? I've read something on reddit that you can only run it on 1,2v and it will only boost up to 4,4-4,6 Ghz at max however it could boost up to 4950 MHz if im informed right. I won't overclock it.

I really wanna make sure that I can get the max out of it after a BIOS update, it was expensive to not use it 100%.

Airflow and cooling will be good with my new Lian Li Lancool II Mesh + new Dark Rock PRO 4.

Solution
The 5900X has an identical thermal design power (TDP) as the 2700X, being 105w TDP. So if your VRMs are good enough now, they should be good enough then. And furthermore, since that is a pretty decent board I don't think you'd have problems at all but you will want to get it updated to the latest stable BIOS version if it isn't already.
The 5900X has an identical thermal design power (TDP) as the 2700X, being 105w TDP. So if your VRMs are good enough now, they should be good enough then. And furthermore, since that is a pretty decent board I don't think you'd have problems at all but you will want to get it updated to the latest stable BIOS version if it isn't already.

Reactions: Culogep and kurdtnz
Solution

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Much love and thank you for the answer!

Culogep

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
If anyone find this thread I can gladly say that there is no problem with the MSI Tomahawk MAX + 5900x combo, with this CPU cooler and case all of the cores were able to go above the 4800 MHz limit, some cores even clocks up to 4951 Mhz so it is absolutely enough to run it stock, played some Valorant, max temp was 66 °C.

I hope I could help you if you are struggling with this question like I did!
View: https://imgur.com/r9DDpSa

Reactions: Darkbreeze