[SOLVED] b450 tomahawk (non max) with ryzen 7 3700x is unable to boot to windows 10

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
Hello everybody, im not really sure what to do now and i come here to ask for help.

Recently i bought myself a ryzen 7 3700x to upgrade my machine, but it wont boot to my windows and it restarts or freezes my machine when loading the OS.
Unfortunately because of this i had to do a fresh install of my OS because of a boot BSOD.
And my previous CPU, a ryzen 5 2600 still works and boots fine into the fresh OS installation.

the CPU can POST and access the BIOS with no issue, the BIOS is currently in the last stable version, as i updated it to see if the issue was gone.
i tried checking if it was a memory issue, using one stick at the time, but with no luck as the same thing keeps happening.

I would appreciate a lot if someone could give me some help, thank you.

Solution
UPDATE [Jan, 12, 2022]: The CPU was faulty after all, completed the RMA process with AMD and passed the inspection, today i recieved a brand new R7 3700X (with another wraith prism? so i have two now), Removed the 2600, restarted BIOS, put in the 3700x and the pc booted with no issue and BIOS configuration was set, and after some benchmarks the system just works fine. No crashes or reboots at all.

I wrote this just in case there is someone in a very similar situation and tried everything above, it might be worth to try and do a RMA process.

Lutfij

Titan
For the sake of relevance, can you please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU in the build apart from it's make and model. As for the platform with the new processor, mind sharing what BIOS version you're on for your motherboard? Source of your OS installer? Which slots are the ram(s) populating on the motherboard? See if disconnecting from the wall and display and removing the CMOS battery for 30 minutes before replacing changes your experience.

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
For the sake of relevance, can you please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU in the build apart from it's make and model. As for the platform with the new processor, mind sharing what BIOS version you're on for your motherboard? Source of your OS installer? Which slots are the ram(s) populating on the motherboard? See if disconnecting from the wall and display and removing the CMOS battery for 30 minutes before replacing changes your experience.
Thank you, also im sorry i completely forgot to add the rest of my components.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: MSI B450 tomahawk (non max)
Ram: Corsair vengeance LED DDR4 3200 MHz 16GB C16 2x8 GB
SSD/HDD: Crucial MX500 (500GB, OS is in here), Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1tb
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super
PSU: Seasonic focus plus gold 550W +80 Gold
Chassis: Fractal Design focus G
OS: If im not mistaken its 21H2, as this is a fresh install and im not sure if it has updated to the newest version

As for the age of the PSU, this whole system is exactly 2 years old, the SSD being the only exception which i bought on early 2020 around april.
The current BIOS version of this board is 7C02v1E.
The ram sticks are currently in the specified positions mentioned by the MSI board user manual (DIMMA2 and DIMMB2).
I never had done any sort of overclocking in this system.

I had no issues with this system since the first day i build it.
I will try these solutions and come back with results.

edit: fixed some misspelling

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

So i did what you mentioned, and changed the CPU, it appears that when loading windows it no longer freezes but it still reboots, and it keeps doing it over and over again.
I forgot to add that, it keeps restarting to the point it makes the OS to use the system repair mode.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, i did remove the battery for almost 30 minutes, as Lutfij mentioned, but i did not short the pins, it appears my board did not came with a jumper cap. How can i short it?
Use a screw driver or any other metal 'thing'.

Another thing...I had a similar problem when I tried to set up my 3700X with some different memory. I had to go into BIOS and manually set the memory clock for 2133 or 2400 for it to work at all. No other clock would work regardless of voltage settings. It was rated as 2666 memory and I'd used it with my Ryzen 1700 previously even at 3000 with custom timings but nothing faster than 2400 with the 3700X.

If you can get into BIOS, just manually set memory speed at 2133 and see if it will boot. Something to try.

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015

Another thing...I had a similar problem when I tried to set up my 3700X with some different memory. I had to go into BIOS and manually set the memory clock for 2133 or 2400 for it to work at all. No other clock would work regardless of voltage settings. It was rated as 2666 memory and I'd used it with my Ryzen 1700 previously even at 3000 with custom timings but nothing faster than 2400 with the 3700X.

If you can get into BIOS, just manually set memory speed at 2133 and see if it will boot. Something to try.
Got it, will try that too, appreciate a lot the help.

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015

So, i tried your suggestions: cleared CMOS, removed battery, went all default settings with the BIOS and did not use XMP so the memory is at 2133Mhz, and only once i managed to boot into windows but just barely, after a few minutes, my computer rebooted and keep doing the same thing... :(

I cheked the windows event viewer and apparently i am getting a (41) kernel power error.
its so weird, my ryzen 5 2600 just works fine and it can play games and do benchmarks with no issue.

At this point i think something might be wrong with the CPU?, i might RMA it instead. The wraith prism looks fancy though, so that works fine hah

So, i tried your suggestions: cleared CMOS, removed battery, went all default settings with the BIOS and did not use XMP so the memory is at 2133Mhz, and only once i managed to boot into windows but just barely, after a few minutes, my computer rebooted and keep doing the same thing... :(

I cheked the windows event viewer and apparently i am getting a (41) kernel power error.
its so weird, my ryzen 5 2600 just works fine and it can play games and do benchmarks with no issue.

At this point i think something might be wrong with the CPU?, i might RMA it instead. The wraith prism looks fancy though, so that works fine hah
Anytime you change CPU, even just to test, be sure to reset CMOS.

Since it always works with the 2600, even with memory set at a low DDR4 clock, it certainly does sound like a defective CPU.

You might try returning your 3700X to the people you bought it from, or contact AMD about starting an RMA.

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
I just did an upgrade to 3800X on the same board and no issues at all so most likely you do have a faulty CPU, bent or missing pins could be an issue here.
Hey, thanks for the reply. And yeah i do agree too. As for any bent pins or missing pins, it has all of them and none are missing, its the first thing i checked when i got the CPU
At this point i just gave up honestly, so i started a RMA process with AMD, and i will send the CPU to them and simply hope for the best.

Out of curiosity are you running the latest version of your BIOS on your B450 tomahawk?

Hey, thanks for the reply. And yeah i do agree too. As for any bent pins or missing pins, it has all of them and none are missing, its the first thing i checked when i got the CPU
At this point i just gave up honestly, so i started a RMA process with AMD, and i will send the CPU to them and simply hope for the best.

Out of curiosity are you running the latest version of your BIOS on your B450 tomahawk?
Same as you latest none beta, upgraded with M-flash prior to swapping out the R5 2600 that was in there.
My 3200 CL 16 ram is running XMP profile without any fiddling.

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
UPDATE [Jan, 12, 2022]: The CPU was faulty after all, completed the RMA process with AMD and passed the inspection, today i recieved a brand new R7 3700X (with another wraith prism? so i have two now), Removed the 2600, restarted BIOS, put in the 3700x and the pc booted with no issue and BIOS configuration was set, and after some benchmarks the system just works fine. No crashes or reboots at all.

I wrote this just in case there is someone in a very similar situation and tried everything above, it might be worth to try and do a RMA process.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution

Great news, it is rare that CPU's fail but it does happen.