Question B450 Tomahawk + R5 3600x questions regarding flashback and updating

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
I have been looking for a motherboard to pair with my new Ryzen 5 3600x i’ll be getting soon. I have heard that the B450 T needs to be updated to support gen 3000 processors. If I have the money for board that supports the Ryzen 3000's like the B450 MAX, should I still go with the b450 Tomahawk and flash or just pay the extra money? What does flashing the bios actually do for the board? Does this affect the board's longevity and performance at all? Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.

Just buy the Max as it add's more memory to the BIOS chip and supports more CPU's.

Flashing the BIOS updates the motherboards support for new memory modules and new or future cpu's. It can also improve performance and stability in operation as the BIOS matures for existing memory and CPU types.

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Just buy the Max as it add's more memory to the BIOS chip and supports more CPU's.

Flashing the BIOS updates the motherboards support for new memory modules and new or future cpu's. It can also improve performance and stability in operation as the BIOS matures for existing memory and CPU types.
Sounds good, thanks for that response! Max's seem to be sold out almost everywhere atm sadly.

Vabe

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014
I have been looking for a motherboard to pair with my new Ryzen 5 3600x i’ll be getting soon. I have heard that the B450 T needs to be updated to support gen 3000 processors. If I have the money for board that supports the Ryzen 3000's like the B450 MAX, should I still go with the b450 Tomahawk and flash or just pay the extra money? What does flashing the bios actually do for the board? Does this affect the board's longevity and performance at all? Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.

If you're thinking whether to buy the B450 Tomahawk or the B450 Tomahawk MAX, I'd definitely advise you to go with the MAX as it only costs around $4 more – depending on where you're buying it – and can do more, for instance run at 4133MHz instead of 3466.

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
It looks like the B450-A Pro MAX and Gaming Plus MAX are available on Newegg right now, both would be good options.
Ah okay, MSI has 20 million versions of the B450 so i was skeptical going with models that had little reviews, I'll check those out. Are they newer or just not as in demand? Why wouldn't a board like the PLUS MAX be much more popular than the B450 T?

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
It looks like the B450-A Pro MAX and Gaming Plus MAX are available on Newegg right now, both would be good options.
Also seem like the common negative review for the MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX is that some of the come DOA, is this just a problem with motherboards in general or do these B450 series known for having issues? Thanks again!

Also seem like the common negative review for the MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX is that some of the come DOA, is this just a problem with motherboards in general or do these B450 series known for having issues? Thanks again!
common problem with motherboards in general. Ryzen 3000 is really popular and MSI's Tomahawk/MAX, Mortar/MAX, Gaming Plus/MAX, Pro Carbon AC are the most popular of B450 boards so they get disproportionate attention. Add in the inevitable woke novice builder who blames the motherboard when they botched the build or run into a problem they couldn't solve...and that's what happens.

You might find this interesting for a quick run-down of BEST Ryzen boards...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGY2mqTn2rc

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
common problem with motherboards in general. Ryzen 3000 is really popular and MSI's Tomahawk/MAX, Mortar/MAX, Gaming Plus/MAX, Pro Carbon AC are the most popular of B450 boards so they get disproportionate attention. Add in the inevitable woke novice builder who blames the motherboard when they botched the build or run into a problem they couldn't solve...and that's what happens.

You might find this interesting for a quick run-down of BEST Ryzen boards...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGY2mqTn2rc
Thanks for the explanation! Very new to this site and pleasantly surprised with the feedback from everyone commenting such helpful stuff. That all makes a lot more sense now.

Reactions: TJ Hooker