[SOLVED] B450 Tomohawk red lights

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 1, 2020
When I turn my new gaming rig on the cpy red light lights up for a split second then the dram and the red backlight (behind it) stays on. Everything works fine in terms of getting on desktop and its speed but the ome issue is I tuink tye cpu fan/fans keep ramping up and ramping down every 30 seconde. Ive tryed changing the fan curve on msi ab but it still does it. Someone help! (Its extremely annoying)

Solution
He must have a thicc cooler idk what it was but considering mine is 68 on stock with fans running stock. Just to quickly check my cpu is running okay? If its running at 4.2 ghz and like 40% workload on dying light? Also I have the x version

So basically If I get the newly realesed 3070 would that pair well with my r5 3600x?
Even a 3600X is rated to boost to only 4.3Ghz so yeah, I think your CPU is running very well. 40% in a game isn't a very heavy workload so I can't say whether 68C is good or bad, especially if it's on the stock Wraithe cooler.

It's still boosting to 4.4Ghz in the middle of gaming action so that's a good thing. If the CPU starts getting into the high 70's/low 80's it will reduce boosting as Ryzen is...
He must have a thicc cooler idk what it was but considering mine is 68 on stock with fans running stock. Just to quickly check my cpu is running okay? If its running at 4.2 ghz and like 40% workload on dying light? Also I have the x version

So basically If I get the newly realesed 3070 would that pair well with my r5 3600x?
Even a 3600X is rated to boost to only 4.3Ghz so yeah, I think your CPU is running very well. 40% in a game isn't a very heavy workload so I can't say whether 68C is good or bad, especially if it's on the stock Wraithe cooler.

It's still boosting to 4.4Ghz in the middle of gaming action so that's a good thing. If the CPU starts getting into the high 70's/low 80's it will reduce boosting as Ryzen is designed to - probably to 4.0-4.1GhZ range but hard to say. That will only happen working a much heavier load than the game you're playing and I can't say if a 3070 will move the bottleneck back to the CPU that far or not. The best way to keep it boosting as high as it can is to get it much better aftermarket cooling.

But from what I've read a 3600X is still a sweet spot (balance of price and performance) for gaming even with a 3080 so long as you don't prefer low-resolution, ultra high refresh gaming for super high FPS. Even then it won't compromise gaming action to any noticeable extent.

Solution
Sep 1, 2020
He must have a thicc cooler idk what it was but considering mine is 68 on stock with fans running stock

It's still boosting to 4.4Ghz in the middle of gaming action so that's a good thing. If the CPU starts getting into the high 70's/low 80's it will reduce boosting as Ryzen is designed to - probably to 4.0-4.1GhZ range but hard to say. That will only happen working a much heavier load than the game you're playing and I can't say if a 3070 will move the bottleneck back to the CPU that far or not. The best way to keep it boosting as high as it can is to get it much better aftermarket cooling.

But from what I've read a 3600X is still a sweet spot (balance of price and performance) for gaming even with a 3080 so long as you don't prefer low-resolution, ultra high refresh gaming for super high FPS. Even then it won't compromise gaming action to any noticeable extent.
I'm going for 1080 p 144hz then maybe in the future 1440p 144hz

Sep 1, 2020
15 % cpu usage in borderlands 3 stilk running at 4350 all cores tho.... Thats crazy if its meant to be like that cause it shows how powerful the cpu is and how <Mod Edit> my gpu is since I'm only getting 82 fps on high

Last edited by a moderator: