[SOLVED] B450 update, lost fan control, why old school bios style?

Ptolomeus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016
I just updated my MSI Tomahawk B450 bios/uefi and I can not see the improvement.
I can no longer control the fan speed. 1 fan is running at 100% and changing the values and then saving is not doing anything. Should I use some kind of software now to control it?

And I was wondering. Why did MSI go from a very user friendly user interface (the red one with the logo, a big button to push xmp, fan graphs and actual pictures) to a black and white screen? Isn't that a step back?

Solution
Oh, I didn't know.
My CPU is the Ryzen 2600x. What are the problems I could face btw?
Also, thanks for answering. I looked everywhere for an answer, but I must have been asking the wrong questions.
Most of the problems are typical problems caused by the new platform and Tomahawk is probably the most popular B450 board so it got a lot of attention. Then add in that a lot of people new to AM4 jumped in with a new purchased board that didn't have supporting BIOS for 3000 chips, and they had to update it in an unfamiliar way (Flashback). Then they get in and don't like the retro interface, the problems just compounded.

Since you're running a 2nd gen processor I'd suggest rolling back to the BIOS rev 7C02v15, which is the last rev...
What is your cpu? Latest bios = bios for 3rd gen ryzen. Because the rom size is small for these new cpu's msi threw all these images with dragons and changed the bios to a lite version if you look the descreption of the bios: Change BIOS UI to Click BIOS(GSE-Lite) mode. If you have a 2nd or 1st gen ryzen no one recomends to update the bios you will only face problems.

Ptolomeus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016
Oh, I didn't know.
Also, thanks for answering. I looked everywhere for an answer, but I must have been asking the wrong questions.

Oh, I didn't know.
Most of the problems are typical problems caused by the new platform and Tomahawk is probably the most popular B450 board so it got a lot of attention. Then add in that a lot of people new to AM4 jumped in with a new purchased board that didn't have supporting BIOS for 3000 chips, and they had to update it in an unfamiliar way (Flashback). Then they get in and don't like the retro interface, the problems just compounded.

Since you're running a 2nd gen processor I'd suggest rolling back to the BIOS rev 7C02v15, which is the last rev before the Ryzen 3000 revs started. It's got great memory support for Xen+ processors and still has the fancy red dragon graphics.

Solution