Question B450F has stopped booting past BIOS

Aug 14, 2020
Asus ROG Strix B450-F
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
MSI RX580
Ryzen 3200G
Aerocool Integrator 600W Bronze

My system was working fine, but I ordered a 2TB Barracuda, and things went wrong when I tried to install it. AFAIK I've set up secure boot and UEFI properly so that the system should boot, but it won't, even with a few different configs I've tried. Currently, secure boot is set to Other OS and my keys are cleared (which I did in the process of trying to fix the issue). I have drives that are definitely functional, but my system refuses to boot Windows or Linux fully. I can get a logo or a "system needs to restart" for Windows to show up or GRUB for Linux, but the systems won't boot past that point. My best guess is a RAM issue or I need to update the BIOS, but I'm just winging it, TBH. I don't know what I did wrong, if anything at all.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Seems you can get into the bios, which version are you running? Might be good to update if having an older one. For instance, soemthing said under one of the older bios updates,

"b.Fixes an issue with certain Linux distros "

Also not keen on the psu you are using, would really urg you to replace. What happens if you take the R 580 out and use the integrated gpu?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020
Yeah, I've been thinking about an update, but that's just my own idea, and I've been waiting to get advice on what to do next. Given what you found about that Linux patch, it sounds like it might help.

If I use the APU it's the same.

Yeah, I don't love the PSU either. I followed advice I got, but now I've used it, and heard some things about Aerocool after I started using it, I wish I'd got another one. I don't mind upgrading when I need to though, so it's not a huge deal. I don't know if it's the problem in this case though.

Aug 14, 2020
Tried that but no setup I've tried helps. I even deleted the keys. If you have specific instructions for what to do for my model I can try it to make sure I didn't miss anything, but I think I've done what I should have already.

Aug 14, 2020
I've just found that if I choose the drive to boot from (rather than choosing the options that list the OS) it shows what's in the second of these images. Also, I've just found that when I hit the freeze, my keyboard won't respond to anything. Can't even activate capslock. My mouse also enters a state that it goes into when systems are booting and all it has is power. Once a system boots, it engages the mode I usually use, but when I hit the freeze, it stays in the booting state.