Question B450M bazooka POST fail

Dec 4, 2019
Hi there,

I bought a prebuilt computer in march which worked fine, until a few weeks ago. It began to randomly not boot when I pressed the power button. It happened maybe like 1 out of 3 times and stopping it and rebooting by pressing the power button for a few seconds usually worked. Until yesterday...
I had to open the case to add a m.2 NVMe drive (I had to remove and put back the GPU because it was blocking the m.2 slot) and now I cannot boot anymore. I removed the m.2 drive but still no luck.
The motherboard's EZ Debug LED behavior isn't always the same. Sometimes both CPU and RAM stay lit, sometimes CPU lights up for a short time but no other LED lights up after that.
The case, CPU and GPU fans are working but nothing is displayed on screen.

What I already tried:
  • Switching screens and cables
  • Only putting 1 RAM stick (I tried with several sticks on every socket)
  • Unplugging and plugging back all cables
  • CMOS reset
  • Moving a bit the motherboard by loosening the screws
I'm out of ideas so I would be thankful if someone could help

my config:
  • MSI B450M Bazooka
  • AMD Ryzen 2700
  • Zotac geforce 2070 RTX
  • 2*16G G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000
  • PSU Thermaltake Smart 600W 80plus

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What is the PSU make and model?

I would also go over this guide and go through each and every step: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

I didn't find the PSU model on the computer specs. It's hidden in the bottom of the case so I will open it and check when I'm back home.
I followed the guide but skipped the integrated video since I don't have one and the PSU part which I wasn't confident doing.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You can't really test either. All I will say is I know for a fact that your PSU is poor quality. So replacing it isn't a bad thing anyway.
If you've covered the guide then i would breadboard the system, remove it from the case entirely and boot with just CPU, CPU Cooler, MB, 1 stick of RAM, and in your case, GPU. Then see if any different result is yielded.

Dec 4, 2019
Yeah I think this is part of the reason why my computer was cheap... Do you have a recommandation of a PSU to replace the current one? Is 600W good for my config or should I pick one with a different power?

Dec 4, 2019
The new PSU is a Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W 80+ Titanium.
I guess I could borrow a GPU, but that won't be possible for a CPU.
The EZ Debug led seem to point to a RAM failure though, since the CPU led blinks normally but the 2nd one (RAM) never lights up. I already tried with 4 different RAM sticks of 2 brands.

Remove the power connections to the motherboard, remove the memory, remove the gpu, and disconnect or remove all hard drives...leave only the CPU and it's cooler installed on the motherboard.

Reset the BIOS to defaults by shorting the correct jumper located right below the BIOS battery...then remove the BIOS battery from the motherboard and wait 5 min.

Reinsert the BIOS battery, power connections, and connect only one memory stick and the gpu...and attempt to power cycle the system.

If it worked you should be looking at a screen saying something like "boot device not found"...at which point I would recommend you insert one piece of equipment at a time, rebooting after each piece, until you've added everything or you've identified which single piece of equipment is causing your problem.

Of course if it still fails to boot to the "boot device not found" screen after stripping the system and resetting the BIOS then it's likely your motherboard needs to be RMA'd.

Dec 4, 2019
Remove the power connections to the motherboard, remove the memory, remove the gpu, and disconnect or remove all hard drives...leave only the CPU and it's cooler installed on the motherboard.

Reset the BIOS to defaults by shorting the correct jumper located right below the BIOS battery...then remove the BIOS battery from the motherboard and wait 5 min.

Reinsert the BIOS battery, power connections, and connect only one memory stick and the gpu...and attempt to power cycle the system.

If it worked you should be looking at a screen saying something like "boot device not found"...at which point I would recommend you insert one piece of equipment at a time, rebooting after each piece, until you've added everything or you've identified which single piece of equipment is causing your problem.

Of course if it still fails to boot to the "boot device not found" screen after stripping the system and resetting the BIOS then it's likely your motherboard needs to be RMA'd.

I followed those steps and it still isn't booting. So that means the MB is faulty? Is it still possible that the GPU is the one failing?

Did you have pixelated or otherwise distorted video prior to the system not working ? I'm not reading that in your previous posts so I am curious why you suspect the GPU.

Based on what I've read so far I would guess the motherboard is the problem...but without replacement parts like a spare GPU it's hard to be absolutely certain.

Dec 4, 2019
No I've never had display related issues so yeah it may be a bit of a stretch to suspect the GPU. I just wanted to be sure that the motherboard was defective before changing it.

Dec 4, 2019
I changed the motherboard and it fixed the issue, that's the good news. But now, while I'm able to reach the bios screen, I can't make it boot to windows. I got the following error message : testapp.nsh is not recognized. I'm not sure what can cause that, I still use the same hdds for windows...

Reactions: Jackatire
Dec 21, 2019
Hi there,

I bought a prebuilt computer in march which worked fine, until a few weeks ago. It began to randomly not boot when I pressed the power button. It happened maybe like 1 out of 3 times and stopping it and rebooting by pressing the power button for a few seconds usually worked. Until yesterday...
I had to open the case to add a m.2 NVMe drive (I had to remove and put back the GPU because it was blocking the m.2 slot) and now I cannot boot anymore. I removed the m.2 drive but still no luck.
The motherboard's EZ Debug LED behavior isn't always the same. Sometimes both CPU and RAM stay lit, sometimes CPU lights up for a short time but no other LED lights up after that.
The case, CPU and GPU fans are working but nothing is displayed on screen.

What I already tried:
  • Switching screens and cables
  • Only putting 1 RAM stick (I tried with several sticks on every socket)
  • Unplugging and plugging back all cables
  • CMOS reset
  • Moving a bit the motherboard by loosening the screws
I'm out of ideas so I would be thankful if someone could help

my config:
  • MSI B450M Bazooka
  • AMD Ryzen 2700
  • Zotac geforce 2070 RTX
  • 2*16G G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000
  • PSU Thermaltake Smart 600W 80plus
Bro I nust had this problem with my b450 prime no post.... if anyone knows wtf is happening let us know.

Dec 21, 2019
I changed the motherboard and it fixed the issue, that's the good news. But now, while I'm able to reach the bios screen, I can't make it boot to windows. I got the following error message : testapp.nsh is not recognized. I'm not sure what can cause that, I still use the same hdds for windows...
So the 450 mobo just crapped on u???.. mine JUST didn't lastnight... smh right before christmas