[SOLVED] B450M DS3H upgrade

Jan 26, 2021
I am wanting to upgrade from my B450m to something that would support ryzen 7 3700x and a more current gpu. I’m new to the pc world so I have no idea how. I’m a game streamer and my pc can’t hold up very well under the strain.

Solution
My friend that has been building pc’s said that the MB couldn’t handle overclocking a ryzen 7 3700x. I’ve only had a pc for about 3 months so still new to it. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 and rx 580 in it.
Look at the list of compatible processors, if it can handle twice as powerful 5950x with 16 cores, it can certainly handle 3700x OC. with 8 cores.
Besides, Ryzen is already at almost top of it's performance as it is. With a max OC it can rarely hit it's boost speed and most of the times even less. With 3700x you can expect up to 4.3 GHz all core OC which would net only couple of % higher multi core scores and drop single score by that much, all of that with about same power requirement.
Best way to get maximum out of it is ti give...
I am wanting to upgrade from my B450m to something that would support ryzen 7 3700x and a more current gpu. I’m new to the pc world so I have no idea how. I’m a game streamer and my pc can’t hold up very well under the strain.
[/QUOTE
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-V2-rev-10/support#support-cpu
That MB will work fine with 3000 series Ryzen with just a BIOS update, and even with 5000 series Ryzen.
There's even less of a reason to change MB because a new GPU.
Is there another reason you would want to change it ?

Jan 26, 2021
My friend that has been building pc’s said that the MB couldn’t handle overclocking a ryzen 7 3700x. I’ve only had a pc for about 3 months so still new to it. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 and rx 580 in it.

Look at the list of compatible processors, if it can handle twice as powerful 5950x with 16 cores, it can certainly handle 3700x OC. with 8 cores.
Besides, Ryzen is already at almost top of it's performance as it is. With a max OC it can rarely hit it's boost speed and most of the times even less. With 3700x you can expect up to 4.3 GHz all core OC which would net only couple of % higher multi core scores and drop single score by that much, all of that with about same power requirement.
Best way to get maximum out of it is ti give it really good CPU and case cooling which doesn't let it go over 65-70c temps. That's way cheaper than changing MB.

Solution
Jan 26, 2021
Best way to get maximum out of it is ti give it really good CPU and case cooling which doesn't let it go over 65-70c temps. That's way cheaper than changing MB.
Thank you for the help. Any advice on what I should upgrade first?