Question b450m ds3h won't start with 4 ram sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2019
Hi everyone,

I've visited tom's hardware for many years, always find the answer, that's why i've never registered before, but now I can't to find a solution to my problem.

I recently upgraded my hardware because my last mobo was very old and limited to 16 gb of ram, so I decided to upgrade.

I bought a b450m ds3h mobo, a ryzen 5 2600 (first AMD ever), and 4 identical sticks of Hyper X Fury 8 GB 2666 mhz (HX426C16FB2/8), I checked with CPU-Z they all have the same timings, and everything, only different serial number, which they need to have different.

Computer won't start when the 4 sticks are in, I've tested all the sticks individually, they all work, I've tested both pair of ram sockets, separately, they work, I've even started the computer combining 3 sticks, and it starts, just isn't ideal, because then only 8 g of ram are usable, anyways. Sockets work and sticks work.

I've read so much about the topic, nothing seems to work, Ryzen 5 2600 can handle 64 g of ram, supposedly, and the ram model is in the compatibility list. I have updated BIOS, downgraded BIOS, turn on XMP profile, turn off XMP profile, have done a lot of testing.

Everything is supposed to be compatible, but computer won't boot when the 4 sticks are in. All lights turn on, mouse turns on, fans turn on, gpu turns on, but no signal is sent to the monitor, I have an evga g3 750W psu, and a gigabyte gtx 1070, 2 ssd 1 tera and 120g.

What can possibly be the problem?

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
I have had a lot of ram issues in the past in it is hell. Are there any post codes (I know there are no led readers on the motherboard you have) or beeps. This is to at least know if it is a pre-boot problem. It might be that the ryzen 5 2600 might have a broken or defected memory channel or controller.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You lost the ram lottery, it's as simple as that. It does not matter that you bought 'identical' Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory sticks.
-Memory is only guaranteed to work as sold: you bought 4 separate sticks.
-Separate kits of the same brand and specs can still fail - it's simply the combination with the highest rate for compatibility: again, you are attempting to combine 4 separate kits
-Freezing/crashing, BSODs, and boot failures are among the symptoms of incompatible kits.

If you want 4 sticks, then return all 4 individual kits currently in your possession, and get a legit Kingston HyperX Fury Black 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory kit that was already tested and certified by the manufacturer to work together.
Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory is an alternative.

Mar 9, 2020
I think it has to do with the fact that your RAM doesn't support low voltage settings. (min. 1.2 volts)
The auto-boost function of the AMD Ryzen will try to lower this voltage most of the time but in your case it can not. This might trick the cpu into thinking you are using overclocked memory and thus trigger the auto-clock to boost the cpu up further. At some stage this process will end up in conflicting and unbalanced voltage swings which might cause your system to be in state of confusion as to say.
If i am right then your RAM should work on all 4 slots if you overclock your CPU manually using the best clock speed at 1.2 volt. If that work i recommend you to get new RAM or wait for a BIOS update (which i don't think comes any time soon btw) or just stick to the one manual overclock setting forever (which is a waste of the power of Ryzen imo since low powerconsumption is one of the best features of Ryzen).

I am not to sure about this but perhaps worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.