Question B450M Gaming Plus & Ryzen 5 3600X Bios Trouble

Feb 6, 2019
I recently tried upgrading my PC since most of my parts were on the older side. In the process switched over to team red. But after just setting it up I haven't been able to update the BIOS. I currently have the old black and gray bios and no matter what I've tried to do it won't update to the new red one.

I've tried M-Flashing and Bios Flashing and neither of those seem to work. Am I a dunce and this board doesn't get the new looking bios or is there something I'm missing?

I can get my system to boot and run windows fine. (At least fine that I know of haven't really tried to do anything else other than download BIOS update.) Again is there a fix or something I'm missing or will I just have to return this board for a better/newer model?

The new parts in my build are the PSU CPU RAM and Motherboard

Build- CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x RAM: G. Skill RipJaws V 16GB 3600 GPU: GTX 1070 PSU: EVGA 750 Gold Certified Motherboard: MSI B450M Gaming Plus

I recently tried upgrading my PC since most of my parts were on the older side. In the process switched over to team red. But after just setting it up I haven't been able to update the BIOS. I currently have the old black and gray bios and no matter what I've tried to do it won't update to the new red one.

I've tried M-Flashing and Bios Flashing and neither of those seem to work. Am I a dunce and this board doesn't get the new looking bios or is there something I'm missing?

I can get my system to boot and run windows fine. (At least fine that I know of haven't really tried to do anything else other than download BIOS update.) Again is there a fix or something I'm missing or will I just have to return this board for a better/newer model?

The new parts in my build are the PSU CPU RAM and Motherboard

Build- CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x RAM: G. Skill RipJaws V 16GB 3600 GPU: GTX 1070 PSU: EVGA 750 Gold Certified Motherboard: MSI B450M Gaming Plus
I assume when you say 'black and gray' BIOS you mean that you have the GSE-lite BIOS. And that suggests you have an original B450m Gaming Plus, not the newer B450m Gaming Plus MAX.

MSI's original, non-MAX, B450 boards had a BIOS chip that could not hold the much-larger AGESA code needed for Ryzen 3000 CPU's. So when they went to it something had to give and they dropped the new graphical BIOS that has red dragons and such. Even though you have the 'black and gray' colors it still works and does everything it's supposed to.

It also seems down-grading is locked out so you can't go back easily. That's to prevent you from bricking your board with a Ryzen 3000 CPU on it. And since you do have a 3600 on it you absolutely do not want to down-grade.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS