[SOLVED] B450M Mortar Max no screen 4060 GPU install

Nov 27, 2023
Hello all. I'd really appreciate some help after trying to install a new 4060 on my son's Desktop.

Specs are;

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600g
Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max
Bios 2C0
GPU: MSI RTX 4060
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4-RAM 3600 MHz 2x 16 GB CMK32GX4M2D3600C18
PSU: Corsair CP-9020178-UK RM650x 80 PLUS Gold 650 W Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Connected via HDMI, power cable 8 pin to PSU and 6+2 into the GPU.

The PC has been running great for the last year on integrated graphics. Placed the 4060 in it this morning and can't get a signal from it, not even POST. Tried numorous settings in he BIOS, nothing worked. After reading some threads I decided to update the Bios via MSI Live 6. After the restart it did nothing, computer has been on for an hour now with just a blank screen.

I really am at a loss at what to do next. Is it safe to power down and reset the CMOS? Any help/guidance greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Yes, you can reset your BIOS. It won't hurt anything.

Make sure your memory and the new GPU are firmly installed in their respective slots. Motherboards can flex when installing/removing components and you may have dislodged something. Same for both the 8-pin and 24-pin power connectors attached to the motherboard.
Are you plugging into the motherboard or the card? If plugging into the board make sure to plug into the new card. If you are plugged into the card now you may try to move the plug to the motherboard and see if it gives a signal. If its been on an hour already and will give no signal you may have no choice except to power it off.

Nov 27, 2023
Yes the integrated graphics was working until I tried to upgrade the Bios. I was able to switch between the two but the GPU had no image. The computer no longer lets me boot into Bios, the screen is just blank. Is the next step to reset CMOS?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes, you can reset your BIOS. It won't hurt anything.

Make sure your memory and the new GPU are firmly installed in their respective slots. Motherboards can flex when installing/removing components and you may have dislodged something. Same for both the 8-pin and 24-pin power connectors attached to the motherboard.

Reactions: ohio_buckeye
Solution
Nov 27, 2023
After CMOS reset everything is booting nicely. The graphics card still wasn't working until I changed the PCI interface in the BIOS from 2.0 to 3.0. I am now getting a signal from the GPU, so all good. Is there any point in trying to update the BIOS now or should I leave well alone, now everything is working? Thanks for all the help, seems like problem solved.

After CMOS reset everything is booting nicely. The graphics card still wasn't working until I changed the PCI interface in the BIOS from 2.0 to 3.0. I am now getting a signal from the GPU, so all good. Is there any point in trying to update the BIOS now or should I leave well alone, now everything is working? Thanks for all the help, seems like problem solved.

My dad says if it’s not broke don’t fix it. In other words if it works as you desire, leave it alone.

You may also turn on resizable bar while you are in there. It might also be called smart access memory.

Reactions: MDella
Nov 27, 2023
My dad says if it’s not broke don’t fix it. In other words if it works as you desire, leave it alone.

You may also turn on resizable bar while you are in there. It might also be called smart access memory.
Good advice! I did enable Re-bar as you mentioned.

Thank you all for your time, very kind.