[SOLVED] B450M MSI VDH Pro Plus Nvme question

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Was under the impression that using nvme m.2s didnt take away a sata port when you have them in, apprently my ax6000 and msi mobo do? Although the drive in question thats getting stopped still shows up in disk management even with its original labels i just cant access it, also if i remove drives it wont let the nvme boot (my c drive) which would solve this situation cus i could just rearrange my data and drop a drive. Mostly judt curious as to if my thoughts were wrong though?

Solution
For many boards, they do. And, in many cases it completely depends on WHICH CPU is being used, as to how the lane management occurs.

If you can't boot when you remove drives other than the NVME M.2 drive, then you had them still installed when you cloned or installed Windows to that drive, and you need to remove ALL drives EXCEPT the NVME drive, and do a clean install of Windows on that drive. Most likely, the boot partition is on the drive you are trying to remove, because Windows saw that there was already an existing boot partition and was too lazy, didn't feel the need, to create a new one, or you failed to include the boot partition when you cloned the drive.

In any case, it's probably better if you disconnect all other drives...
For many boards, they do. And, in many cases it completely depends on WHICH CPU is being used, as to how the lane management occurs.

If you can't boot when you remove drives other than the NVME M.2 drive, then you had them still installed when you cloned or installed Windows to that drive, and you need to remove ALL drives EXCEPT the NVME drive, and do a clean install of Windows on that drive. Most likely, the boot partition is on the drive you are trying to remove, because Windows saw that there was already an existing boot partition and was too lazy, didn't feel the need, to create a new one, or you failed to include the boot partition when you cloned the drive.

In any case, it's probably better if you disconnect all other drives, install Windows and then reinstall any necessary drives. It might also be possible to simply MOVE one of the other drives, after reinstalling, to a DIFFERENT SATA header, that is not disabled. Possibly you could also get a PCI enclosure for your M.2 drive and move it to a PCI slot that would not affect the allocation of lanes to your SATA headers.

Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
NVME will typically disable 2 SATA ports, that bandwidth is directed to the NVME drives.
it is usually only two SATA ports and you should be able to move the drive to another port, set the new boot order in the BIOS and go.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
All my sata headers are full, just asking on here cus couldnt find any info in the manual if it would dissable or not, im running a 2600x, thanks for the tip on the drive situation thought, thought that was maybe the case little bit frustrating but ah well, at least im on the home stretch of finishing the build

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Also to note, it is actually only one sata port that doesnt seem to be working, and also to note the drive does actually apear in windows Disk Management just I cant access the drive, when im home il re install windows without any drives in, swap around the drives move data onto my big 2TB ones and drop an SSD