[SOLVED] B450M Pro4 Ram trouble - 3200mhz will only run 2733mhz.

Feb 10, 2019
Hey all

So i bought a new system.

Asrock B450m Pro4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU
Team Group Night hawk legend 2 X 8GB Ram 3200mhz 14-14-14-31 Samsung B-Die.

The RAM is listed on the QVL list on the motherboard.

But with XMP 2.0 Profile i cant get them to work past 2733mhz.

Can some help me setting my system up so i can use the ram at full speed?

Bios is upgraded to 2.0

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M%20Pro4/index.asp#MemoryPR

https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/night-hawk-rgb-night-hawk-ddr4

Thanks

Anders.

Solution

You should probably put this in a new topic.

You should put your liquid cooler's pump on the CPU_Fan header...
Feb 10, 2019

Hey shknawe

Not 100% sure what i am looking for?

Here is pictures off my asrock b430m pro4 bios as it is now.
https://imgur.com/a/CMC6cEs

I can get them to run at 28xx but not 2933 :/

Feb 10, 2019

Hey Drea.drechsler

Here is some picture off how it is running stable now - stress testing and gaming.
https://imgur.com/a/CMC6cEs

I tired doing what you said, but it just reboots 5 times and sets the ram to 21xx mhz.

Just to be sure that what i am doing is right:
tCl: 14
tRCDRD: 16
tRCDWR: 16
tRP: 16
tRAS: 36

i cant turn the volt mure up than 1.40

Unfortunate. That Team memory is good but it's probably optimized for Intel processors so to overcome that you'd have to delve into those secondary timings and that's gonna get pretty involved if you want to get it to 3200.

Be sure to get the latest BIOS updates and your best bet is limit to 2933. One other other thing to try is look for a setting (probably in the Secondary timings) called ProcODT, set it to about 53ohms or so. If that doesn't work vary it up and down a couple settings, happiness is usually found between 40-60. If it is to be found at all.

There are 27 or so more timing settings to try and random flipping of those values doesn't work, trust me. If you're super interested there is a process you can follow that entails running a calculator to figure out optimum values to try.

Feb 10, 2019

Should i try the ProcODT settings with the settings you suggested?

This is the calculator you mean right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9bekQTRnzY&feature=youtu.be

Ive been looking at it, but not tryed it yet.

But why are the rams on the QVL list then? :(

Feb 10, 2019

i tired his, but i think he got a b450 pro4 - mine is b450m pro4 < Micro atx.

he got that extra setting in the top called "OC mode change switch" ? i dont got it :s

Looks so easy in his video ;)

I'd start with the timings i suggest. Those are relaxed timings so if it works with that you could try tigthening back up to the 14 settings of before.

yes it is the calculator! but it's at a later versioning now...it's about 1.4.1. You can probably ignore the Taiphun burner bit because you already know you have Samsung b-Die chips on your DIMM's.

It's just a calculator, it doesn't make any changes. It just calculates settings that you have to enter in your BIOS.

IMO, QVL's aren't reliable because they don't keep it updated as RAM mfr's change their ram all the time and, as well, BIOS updates change how boards operate and they don't re-test RAM for each BIOS release.

Feb 10, 2019

Would it be stupid to try an older bios verison then? (or worth it)

I don't think it would be stupid, no. That frequently happens that a later BIOS breaks things that worked before. Whether it's worth it is another thing since BIOS updates are always risky.

If it were me, I'd go use that Ryzen D-Ram Calculator before I'd try anything like a BIOS update just to get memory from 2800 to 3200. Sure it's bothersome with lots of things to change in the settings but you can save working settings preloads in CMOS and recover from messing that up a lot easier.

Feb 10, 2019

Roger - ill try the ram calculator and see if i can get it to work. :)

Can i ask you another question?

What do you think about that i clocked the 2700x at 4200mhz @ 1,375 volt instead off amd cbs?

If i let CBS run it, i only get 4000mhz form it - clocked at 4200mhz it is stable and giving more performance.

if i try to go higher it crashes all the time tho :/

That is somewhat a personal choice thing.

For gaming I personally feel 'X' CPU's are better to overclock using PBO...Performance Boost Override...settings. Many people can get two cores to boost to 4300 on a 2700x...and stay there longer. But you have to fiddle the PBO parameters some to get it work well. And one of the things to do... lower VCore using offsets...is also helpful but Tomahawk boards don't have VCore offset adjustment. You also have to have pretty good cooling...at least a 240mm AIO or a huge heatsink. What makes it work is keeping the CPU cool.

Two cores at 4300 is better for games that only use one or two threads heavily. But an all core overclock to 4200 is still really good for productivity apps. That's why it's kind of personal choice, so if you're happy with that then great. The ONLY thing to make sure is that the system is stable. With memory at default, run a Prime95 small FFT for at least an hour before you say it's good to go.

Once you dial in a memory overclock then do it again. You'll have to back down somewhere if it fails.

Feb 10, 2019

Ok i see what you are saying, ill try and play with both and see what i feel i get the most out off.

I got a COOLER MASTER MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB on it. So far i have stress tested it in cpuz, 3d bench mark, fps bench mark in CS:GO and played 30min on death match server 128 tick with 18 ppl on it.

When gaming i get around 40 - 45 degrees, and the highest i seen it was 3d bench mark cpu test it was 60 degrees.

Will try prime 95 now :)

Thanks for all your help :)

Feb 10, 2019
I found the problem with the ram, and it is ehrm kinda embarrassing. The blocks were in slot A1 and B1 - So i changed them to A2 - B2 and then they work on 3200mhz with the xmp profile on.

Thanks for all your help and time tho.

That's great you found it!

It would have been interesting should you have tried to find a good ProcODT setting and been successful. The reason is, this setting helps clean up data line termination mismatch errors which having the DIMM's in the wrong sockets would certainly have created. But this is indeed the better way to do it!

Feb 10, 2019

Yeah we must have mis read the manual.

True, but it would have been the long and a first time learning it all for me ;)

I got one last issue - my fans dont speed up when the heat gets up?

Right now i got my liquid cooler fans in CPU Fan 1 slot - and on a coustom setting.

Something like 30% speed on 40 degrees.
and 100% on 70 degrees.
And then in between in climbs ofcourse.

But when i start a stress test or something and the temp goes up to 60 degrees the fans dont speed up? :/ Samething on silent setting or any other.

Fans are set to monitor cpu temp.
Same thing goes for case fan it dont speed up either :s

You should probably put this in a new topic.

You should put your liquid cooler's pump on the CPU_Fan header and set it to 100% or 12V, max speed, all the time. It's designed for that kind of operation and should be very quiet.

I like case fans and radiator fans to follow CPU temp too. You need to make sure the headers are set for the type of fan they are: voltage controlled or PWM. Some motherboards work different...some have auto-select for instance...I'm not sure how yours works. On some a voltage control fan on a PWM header will run at full speed all the time regardless of the curve selected so that could be your situation.

I only use BIOS, never the motherboard utilities as they tend to be buggy and not work right.

Solution