Question B450M Steel Legend Lights Flickering

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
HI everyone, yesterday I changed the lights on my motherboard, ram, and cpu cooler to white for a few minutes using ASRock Polychrome Sync on my B450M Steel legend. Now, the lights on the motherboard (only on the motherboard) are flickering and my cpu cooler is staying white. (changed lights back to rainbow) The ram is normal.
Any idea of how I can fix this? I don't have much experience with RGB software.
Thanks!

Here's what it looks like: View: https://imgur.com/a/Mus7cIi

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hi! I haven't found a complete solution yet. I contacted ASRock support, here's what they said:

First email:
Maybe the issue can be fix by reflash the RGB firmware you are welcome to give a try.
Please try following again to re-flash the RGB firmware.
· Uninstall the Polychrome RGB utility.
· Restart the system.
· Download and reinstall Polychrome RGB utility link below.
Link: https://download.asrock.com/Utility/RGB/PolychromeRGB(v2.0.71).zip
· Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
· Type (or copy/paste); “ cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASRock Utility\ASRRGBLED\Bin “ then press enter.
· Type “WriteFW.bat” under CMD (administrator) to update RGB firmware.
Note: Re-flash the RGB firmware again (WriteFW.bat) if its same issue

My response:

During the firmware flash i got a fail code

Tryed the flash 3 times now.
When trying to launch the newly downloaded polychrome sync, i get a message that reads: "This Utility is not for this platform!"

And here's what the lights look like:

(wont display images its a pain)

His response:

We do have beta version of RGB software, please uninstall the current RGB and try both RGB version
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M Steel Legend/index.asp#Download
2.0.38 and beta 2.0.74

gonna try the beta version today.

Dec 19, 2020
First email:
Maybe the issue can be fix by reflash the RGB firmware you are welcome to give a try.
Please try following again to re-flash the RGB firmware.
· Uninstall the Polychrome RGB utility.
· Restart the system.
· Download and reinstall Polychrome RGB utility link below.
Link: https://download.asrock.com/Utility/RGB/PolychromeRGB(v2.0.71).zip
· Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
· Type (or copy/paste); “ cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASRock Utility\ASRRGBLED\Bin “ then press enter.
· Type “WriteFW.bat” under CMD (administrator) to update RGB firmware.

I had this flickering problem too and the instructions given on the first email worked for me but before uninstalling the RGB Utility, I had to set all the RGB lights to OFF. Then, I also had to clean registries using CCleaner. Kept cleaning until no registry errors were found and then finally restarted my pc.

I downloaded the latest stable RGB Utility which is the ASRock Polychrome RGB ver:2.0.79 from their official B450 Steel Legend website page and installed it. They also published a later version in beta state, but I think it's best for now to avoid beta versions as we try to fix an issue. Thereafter, I did what was exactly advised for the Command Prompt part and luckily didn't have any issues or error. I went ahead opening the RGB Utility and the lights were finally fine.

I hope this helps.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I had this flickering problem too and the instructions given on the first email worked for me but before uninstalling the RGB Utility, I had to set all the RGB lights to OFF. Then, I also had to clean registries using CCleaner. Kept cleaning until no registry errors were found and then finally restarted my pc.

I downloaded the latest stable RGB Utility which is the ASRock Polychrome RGB ver:2.0.79 from their official B450 Steel Legend website page and installed it. They also published a later version in beta state, but I think it's best for now to avoid beta versions as we try to fix an issue. Thereafter, I did what was exactly advised for the Command Prompt part and luckily didn't have any issues or error. I went ahead opening the RGB Utility and the lights were finally fine.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the info! This will be helpful to anyone in the future. I actually just got the board back from RMA two days ago.