[SOLVED] B550 Board That is Ready for Ryzen 5000 (without a CPU to upgrade it)

edencorbin

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I'm looking to buy one of the new Ryzen 5000 CPUs on release day (if I can be so lucky). I don't currently have any Ryzen CPUs and I'm wondering if a certain (or any) mini ITX B550 (or 570) board will support it with the bios is ships (as I can't upgrade bios without a compatible cpu right?). I see lots of lists of boards that are offering support, but no mention of what boards ship with it (if any). My ideal candidate is https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b550i-aorus-pro-ax/p/N82E16813145222?Description=mini itx b550&cm_re=mini_itx b550--13-145-222--Product, I've liked gigabyte boards in the past, but am open to another option. If possible I would like to purchase my motherboard before release, what options do I have?

Solution
In order for the board to support the 5000 generation it will need to have the latest BIOS (AGESA ComboV2 1.0.8.1) installed. It's not unlikely that it will be pre-installed before being sent to the retailer but since this BIOS version was recently released it is most likely not installed on current boards that are sitting on store shelves.

However you chose well with this board as it has the Q-FLASH feature. This allows you to, with a USB, to install the latest BIOS firmware onto the motherboard that supports the latest 5000 series CPU. No CPU required.
Though if you don't want to do this you can ask the retailer you're buying the board from if they can install it for you.
In order for the board to support the 5000 generation it will need to have the latest BIOS (AGESA ComboV2 1.0.8.1) installed. It's not unlikely that it will be pre-installed before being sent to the retailer but since this BIOS version was recently released it is most likely not installed on current boards that are sitting on store shelves.

However you chose well with this board as it has the Q-FLASH feature. This allows you to, with a USB, to install the latest BIOS firmware onto the motherboard that supports the latest 5000 series CPU. No CPU required.
Though if you don't want to do this you can ask the retailer you're buying the board from if they can install it for you.

Reactions: edencorbin
Solution

edencorbin

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Thanks for the info I dind't even notice the Q-FLASH feature, that sounds perfect.