[SOLVED] B550-f Extra 4 pin plug

Jul 1, 2020
Hi all
I bought a B550-f for a new build.
I currently have my drives, a GTX 1080 (I plan to upgrade to a 3070 eventually), and plan to buy a Zen 3 CPU (Let's see what is shown tomorrow).
Now, my current PSU is a CX650M.
On PC part picker, I get: Note: The Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.
If I get from Corsair an additional CPU plug that's a 4+4 (and its marked CPU), and I can plug that into my PSU, I can plug one of the 4 into the CPU and not damage it right?
If I don't plug anything into the 4, and I do some light overclocking, would it ruin the board?
Thanks!
(If this is more suited for the PSU subforum, I can repost it there).
I'm new to all this, and my current board doesn't have the additional 4 pin.

Solution
Lastly, the cable the Corsair is sending me, I can plug it into my PSU then power the 4 pin if I really wanted to, right?
That I wouldn't feel comfortable answering. My inclination is NO. Because ultimately, your PSU is built with a certain application in mind. If they wanted that PSU to have that connection, it would have come with it (modular or not).

This is also why you'll find only really 750W PSUs have the additional 4 pin as standard as it typically has the higher headroom to permit this level of overclocking.

However, I hope he won't mind me doing this, but @jonnyguru would be able to give you a definitive answer on this one because I wouldn't be comfortable saying this definitively for the CXM. (Please do give...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You shouldn't need it, the board should run perfectly fine without it, and the CXM is not really built to support that additional 4 pin (I'm not if you even COULD to be honest, but someone else might be able to clarify).

The additional 4 pin is for extreme overclocking in most cases, so some light overclock won't require it to be put in. Usually it's only the 750W units+ that have the inbuilt additional 4 pin.

Jul 1, 2020
None really.

It's just some systems don't play nice when not populated and won't boot. But this is a small minority of cases from my experience.

Physical risk though, there is none. If you're wondering if there could be damage for example, there is no risk here.
Fantastic, thank you!
Only other thing
I plan to get a Zen 3. I know we don't know much about them, but should be fine as well right?

Jul 1, 2020
Yes, the extra pin is only for much more additional power to the CPU, and only extreme overclockers really use it :)
Sounds great! I guess depending if I get the 3070, I may have to get a 750W PSU but I guess I'll stick to my current one!
Lastly, the cable the Corsair is sending me, I can plug it into my PSU then power the 4 pin if I really wanted to, right?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
That I wouldn't feel comfortable answering. My inclination is NO. Because ultimately, your PSU is built with a certain application in mind. If they wanted that PSU to have that connection, it would have come with it (modular or not).

This is also why you'll find only really 750W PSUs have the additional 4 pin as standard as it typically has the higher headroom to permit this level of overclocking.

However, I hope he won't mind me doing this, but @jonnyguru would be able to give you a definitive answer on this one because I wouldn't be comfortable saying this definitively for the CXM. (Please do give me a slap later Jonny for tagging you, it won't be a norm!)

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution
Jul 1, 2020
If you're getting a Corsair cable for a Corsair PSU, it's compatible and should work.

That said, you really don't need it at all. You only need the 8-pin.
Yeah
I called Corsair and the support guy said he'll send me one.
So I probably won't do any extreme overclocking anyways..