[SOLVED] B550-F or TUF X570 for Ryzen 7 5800X?

May 2, 2021
Hello. I plan on purchasing a PC with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU, 32GB of RAM at 3200 MHz and an RTX 3070.
What motherboard should I get and why? I really can't wrap my head around why some of my friends are saying get the Asus ROG Strix B550-F (Gaming) and some other saying Asus TUF X570 Plus (Gaming).
Also, I don't wish to overclock any of my products so will both of these motherboards be able to run 32GB of RAM at 3200 MHz WITHOUT overclocking?

Say I was also to choose the B550-F board anyway, would it be fine and work with my memory and CPU?
Thank you.

Solution
Yes the B550 is fine especially if you don't plan to overclock, these days the motherboard doesn't make that much of a difference in terms of overall performance, what they truly provide in terms of differences between the models are features and power delivery, to which power delivery is only important if you did plan to overclock. Since you don't the B550-F should be plenty fine to handle a stock 5800X. If it has the features you need and at the price you like, go for it.

As for the rest, RAM and GPU, there shouldn't be any problems in terms of compatibility.
Yes the B550 is fine especially if you don't plan to overclock, these days the motherboard doesn't make that much of a difference in terms of overall performance, what they truly provide in terms of differences between the models are features and power delivery, to which power delivery is only important if you did plan to overclock. Since you don't the B550-F should be plenty fine to handle a stock 5800X. If it has the features you need and at the price you like, go for it.

As for the rest, RAM and GPU, there shouldn't be any problems in terms of compatibility.

Reactions: Sam9009
Solution
Hello. I plan on purchasing a PC with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU, 32GB of RAM at 3200 MHz and an RTX 3070.
What motherboard should I get and why? I really can't wrap my head around why some of my friends are saying get the Asus ROG Strix B550-F (Gaming) and some other saying Asus TUF X570 Plus (Gaming).
Also, I don't wish to overclock any of my products so will both of these motherboards be able to run 32GB of RAM at 3200 MHz WITHOUT overclocking?

Say I was also to choose the B550-F board anyway, would it be fine and work with my memory and CPU?
Thank you.
The rog-Strix B550-F has one of the best VRM setups in AM4 and is perfectly capable of overclocking a 5800X even though you're not interested. It's a great board.

It would also be quite likely to run 3200Mhz RAM at it's rated speeds but that's going to depend on the RAM. It's tecnically incorrect to say 3200 isn't overclocking even though the CPU is rated for it since it's not a JEDEC stock clock speed. You'd have similar uncertainty with any board though, it's mainly a precaution to temper expectation. It's also common to have to manually load the ram voltage to get it to boot at the DOCP/XMP clock speed.

I can't be certain of your friends' rationale but people frequently think of X570 as a premium board and everything will be better as a result. That's just not the case, X570 of itself is 'premium' only because it provides more PCIe gen 4 lanes. If you have a need for more PCIe devices and... especially gen 4 devices...then it's the one to pick. But all most anyone needs or uses is one gen 4 GPU and one gen 4 NVMe system drive and B550 is great for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam9009