Jun 12, 2020
I'm looking to switch to AMD and I know that the recent Ryzen CPUs use the AM4 socket. There are all these different chipsets but two that seem recent are the B550 and the X570. What are the differences in capabilities of these two, and is there a price difference?

Solution
so far as i can tell the only new feature in b550 boards is pcie 4.0 support and better out of the box support for 3rd gen ryzen. most 450 boards have been updated to run them but there are still some out there that need a BIOS update before it'll work.

but since we have not actually seen any boards yet, this is only based on what i've seen so far. there might be more to it that we have not been told about yet.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm looking to switch to AMD and I know that the recent Ryzen CPUs use the AM4 socket. There are all these different chipsets but two that seem recent are the B550 and the X570. What are the differences in capabilities of these two, and is there a price difference?
If you use one M.2 NVME drive and 1 video card really nothing.

For the price I think their just out in the US for pre sale so no clue.

EDIT from Newegg it looks like you can get a cheap one for the 115 area.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so far as i can tell the only new feature in b550 boards is pcie 4.0 support and better out of the box support for 3rd gen ryzen. most 450 boards have been updated to run them but there are still some out there that need a BIOS update before it'll work.

but since we have not actually seen any boards yet, this is only based on what i've seen so far. there might be more to it that we have not been told about yet.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I don't want to spend over 200 dollars, and I would like 2+ M.2 slots plus built-in wifi. I found 2 promising boards from Gigabyte and ASUS, but I'll wait until more come out after the June 16th launch of B550.

Thanks!
I think you screwed the pouch on the best answer the specks of the boards are already out!!

But whatever your question is already marked answered!