[SOLVED] B550M AORUS ELITE vs MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

stefansteva

Honorable
Dec 29, 2017
So yeah, here in my country both of these are same price for some reason, so i wanted to ask you guys why is b550m this cheap and b450 is same price ?
Here are the exact models:
GIGABYTE B550M AORUS ELITE (rev. 1.0)
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

Both are going for $110 USD and that's pretty cheap for Serbian standards.

Solution
So yeah, here in my country both of these are same price for some reason, so i wanted to ask you guys why is b550m this cheap and b450 is same price ?
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

It is probably cheaper, due to it being a M-Atx. I would still choose the B550, for better upgrade potential. B450 bios support is going to be pretty sketchy, at first. It does have a bios update, already, for Ryzen 5000.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

I have seen msi b450 tomahawk being sold for $110 not sure about that variant of gigabyte however that B550M is really good and ill recommend if you are getting it from a trusted site and it will even support 5000 series if you want in future.

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

Are you content with the fact the B450 has no chance of PCIe gen 4 capability? It's really not material to performance at this time, but it is a differentiator. I would assume you've assesed either has the feature sets (slots, USB ports, SATA ports, M.2 ports and etc. including aesthetics) that satisfy. So the question would come down to VRM quality.

The Aorus Elite has 5 lo-side FET's in 5 phases, the Tomahawk has 8 lo-side FET's in 4 phases. the Aorus may control power better, but the Tomahawk's FETS should stay cooler heavily loaded with a high core-count CPU. Steve at HWUnboxed did some VRM thermal tests of each of these, in similar conditions. It might be an interesting watch.

I'd say the reason the Aorus Elite is so cheap is because GB is using discrete FET's for the VRM, same as the B450 Tomahawk. Many, if not most, of the other B550 boards have gone to much more efficient power stages and many have also increased phase counts...all the way up to 12 phases.

stefansteva

Honorable
Dec 29, 2017
Thanks for answers, so if i go for a tomahawk i benefit in power eff and quality, if i go for Aorus elite i benefit from newer cpus out of box and pcie 4 ? i guess i shoud get the aorus than ?

Thanks for answers, so if i go for a tomahawk i benefit in power eff and quality, if i go for Aorus elite i benefit from newer cpus out of box and pcie 4 ? i guess i shoud get the aorus than ?
Need to correct a misconception: no boards support Ryzen 5000 'out of the box' at this time. Not even B550 boards (which surprised me). Any board you buy today will have to have a BIOS update to run a Ryzen 5000 CPU. A B450 board won't get that BIOS until sometime early 2021...but a B550 board will be getting one pretty soon. Hopefully by the time processors are available on the shelf, on or around Nov 8.

Either of these boards will run a Ryzen 3000 CPU out of the box though.

logainofhades

Titan
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

It is probably cheaper, due to it being a M-Atx. I would still choose the B550, for better upgrade potential. B450 bios support is going to be pretty sketchy, at first. It does have a bios update, already, for Ryzen 5000.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Reactions: ChumP
Solution

TRENDING THREADS