[SOLVED] B550M DS3H problem with Smartfan5 -- the CPU fan vibrates ?

Omen997

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
3 weeks ago I assembled a pc with the following components (before I only used intel)
ryzen 5 3600
gigabyte b550m ds3h
cooler master hyper 212 evo v2
the fan curve of my cpu is

21º - 48%
35º - 52%
50º - 62%
62º -72 %
83º -100%

when I open the browser what happens is that the temperature spike in the processor goes from 40º to 60º and in a second starts a little vibration, but then when the cpu temperature went down, it started to vibrate too much, so much that even my keyboard vibrated.
I borrowed a cooler master hyper 212 black edition to test it and had a similar result with the EVO V2, the Silencio FP120 fan also vibrated a bit when rpm's went up and down although less than the Sickeflow 120 on the EVO V2.
I bought a premiun fan Noctua nf A12x25 pwm but the result is the same when I open the browser or any common program ,the fan vibrates ,you can see how it vibrates on the heat sink and it is felt on my desktop , I never had a similar problem when I used intel.
the heatsink is correctly mounted and tightly adjusted.
other details that when I adjust the fan curve in the bios ,sometimes smartfan change my SYS1 and SYS2 settings.
I am worried that smartfan5 is defective, even on my previous intel motherboards the curves were more aggressive and never my cpufan vibrated.

and I'm worried that those vibrations can damage the fan motor.

is this normal in computers with ryzen processors or is it a problem with the motherboard?

and if the motherboard is the problem i could process the warranty?
my problem looks like the one in this video:
streamable.com/iz78g

Solution
You can get 21c on a 3600? I feel you probably need to change the fan curve as the lowest I seen my 3600xt is 24c and that is at start up on a cold day, it doesn't stay down there for long. My average is 36 to 41c

if it happens on 3 different fans, the cause is the curve, not the bios, I think.

The reason it spikes when you open a browser is cause Ryzen will mostly have all cores asleep until you ask it to do something, then it boosts a core to max speed to do the task and then goes back to sleep.

What are you using to track temps? a lot of the trackers may not update their recordings as fast as they could, and although it peaks at 60, it won't stay there much longer than a second. Maybe look at this and use hwinfo to track temps -...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can get 21c on a 3600? I feel you probably need to change the fan curve as the lowest I seen my 3600xt is 24c and that is at start up on a cold day, it doesn't stay down there for long. My average is 36 to 41c

if it happens on 3 different fans, the cause is the curve, not the bios, I think.

The reason it spikes when you open a browser is cause Ryzen will mostly have all cores asleep until you ask it to do something, then it boosts a core to max speed to do the task and then goes back to sleep.

What are you using to track temps? a lot of the trackers may not update their recordings as fast as they could, and although it peaks at 60, it won't stay there much longer than a second. Maybe look at this and use hwinfo to track temps - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-use-hwinfo-to-track-sensor-values-on-ryzen.3693704/

I can't compare fan curves as I use an AIO

Last edited:
Solution