[SOLVED] B560M DS3H M.2 drive question

Sep 24, 2021
Hi
I've been looking at the Gigabyte B560M DS3H motherboard but the hard drive connections are confusing me a little.

In the info it says it has 6 SATA ports and 2 M.2 connectors. In the manual it says that using a M.2 Sata SSD drive will disable one of the SATA ports (seems clear enough) but it also shows that using M.2 PCIe SSD drives in either or both ports doesn't stop any of the Sata ports working.

I've been looking at WD Blue SN550 that say they are PCIe rather a Sata M.2 - using these would it be possible to use both M.2 slots and all 6 Sata ports on the motherboard?

To be honest all M.2 drives I've seen seem to be PCIe rather Sata so is that just there for compatibility with older M.2 drives?

Thanks
Peter

Solution
There are still many M.2 SATA III drives around.

But...unless you're planning on filling up ALL the regular SATA ports on the motherboard, it is a non issue if one of them is disabled by something in an M.2 port.

That WD Blue SN550 is indeed an NVMe drive.
2 of those, or that and another NVMe drive, will not disable any SATA ports.

USAFRet

Titan
There are still many M.2 SATA III drives around.

But...unless you're planning on filling up ALL the regular SATA ports on the motherboard, it is a non issue if one of them is disabled by something in an M.2 port.

That WD Blue SN550 is indeed an NVMe drive.
2 of those, or that and another NVMe drive, will not disable any SATA ports.

Reactions: pete-l
Solution
I've been looking at the Gigabyte B560M DS3H motherboard but the hard drive connections are confusing me a little.
using these would it be possible to use both M.2 slots and all 6 Sata ports on the motherboard?
Did you notice? - upper M.2 slot (M2P_CPU) is available only with 11th gen cpu installed.
So - if you install 10th gen cpu, this M.2 slot will not be available.

Last edited:
Reactions: pete-l
Sep 24, 2021
Did you notice? - upper M.2 slot (M2P_CPU) is available only with 11th gen cpu installed.
So - if you install 10th gen cpu, this M.2 slot will not be available.
Ah yes, I'm going to be using a i5-11400 so that should be ok - I see they are starting to become available now so am going for that over the 10400 so that should be fine.