Info B650-F BIOS update (just information, not a question).

sonofjesse

Distinguished
As you know AM5 has had a storied history of BIOS updates and BOOT times. My boot times have got better, then worse etc.

Jumped to the latest 2413, and boot times did not change. 32 seconds for a 7700x/32GB machine.

I really was hoping for some improvements in this area, but alas not yet.

Just thought I would share.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you roll back? if you had a faster time before, does it make sense to use an older BIOS or are they adding other things that improve other areas?

Just a thought. You don't have to be on latest version, even if it does fix something... newest just seems to be for a CPU you don't have.

I have the same cpu and motherboard and the same start up time, to be honest, it doesn't really bother me but I did read you can speed up the boot time by changing a setting in BIOS under something called 'memory context restore.' But please read up about it before making any changes as I am not 100% sure of the procedure.

Reactions: CountMike
As you know AM5 has had a storied history of BIOS updates and BOOT times. My boot times have got better, then worse etc.

Jumped to the latest 2413, and boot times did not change. 32 seconds for a 7700x/32GB machine.

I really was hoping for some improvements in this area, but alas not yet.

Just thought I would share.

It's possible Asus will release new BIOS version soon, ASrock's last BIOS cut time to 5-7 seconds

Reactions: kurdtnz

sonofjesse

Distinguished
ASUS hast released a good amount of BIOS. the older ones were much worse on boot times.

This one is the exact same boot time, as the old bios, but ASUS has fixed the CVE's for the LOGO FAIL attacks. The bios version I was on , was under the version that fixed LOGO fail, so that and the newer AGESI was couple of reason to upgrade.

Rodango

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
I enabled MCR, Asus B650E-F + 7900X CPU + 64GB DDR5-6000 RAM. I read it will speed up boot times. Since build, with this setting in the Default state, Disabled, my boot times have been ~100 seconds +/- 15 seconds. For such state of the art, high speed, expensive components I would expect better than that.
Enabling MCR has dropped boot times to about 11 seconds, YAY!
But the system quickly becomes unstable, with especially network, esp WiFi stopping working, BOO.
The built-in adapter disappears in Linux Mint after initializing and establishing connection with my router. I’ve been unable to get the interface up again without rebooting — have devoted entirely too much time to that.