Distinguished
May 28, 2013
Hey All,

I am planning to build a new config based on AM5. The specs I was looking for:
Ryzen 7800x3d
RTX 4080 Super
some 6000 mhz cl30 32gb ram
850W gold plus PSU

On the motherboard section it seems like these two have the same price in my country:
ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI
ASRock X870 PRO RS WIFI

I tried to search after which one has more value / future proof but I would need some help with it.
On VRM comparison it seems like Asus has 12 x 80A , Asrock 14 x 80A , I don't know how much is this matter taken into account that I am not planning to OC.
Found a downside on the Asrock that if I plan to use the 2nd M.2 then it shares slot with the 2nd PCI-E, and if I plan to use a 3rd M.2 then I would lose 2 out of the 4 SATA slots.

Thanks

Hey All,

I am planning to build a new config based on AM5. The specs I was looking for:
Ryzen 7800x3d
RTX 4080 Super
some 6000 mhz cl30 32gb ram
850W gold plus PSU

On the motherboard section it seems like these two have the same price in my country:
ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI
ASRock X870 PRO RS WIFI

I tried to search after which one has more value / future proof but I would need some help with it.
On VRM comparison it seems like Asus has 12 x 80A , Asrock 14 x 80A , I don't know how much is this matter taken into account that I am not planning to OC.
Found a downside on the Asrock that if I plan to use the 2nd M.2 then it shares slot with the 2nd PCI-E, and if I plan to use a 3rd M.2 then I would lose 2 out of the 4 SATA slots.

Thanks
Only changes are in chipset and it's features. All " X" MBs have VRM good enough for any Ryzen CPU and it's OC.
B650MBs tend to have VRM limited to 180w but not the premium ones like that Strix. That comes into play onlywith 16 core CPUs. 7800x3D uses barelyhalf that power.
Some say that RAM compatibility and handling is better in x870 MBs but that's most probably because of 9000 series CPU and it's IMC.
That ASrock may be more future proof, so if price is right...... I would bet on it.
PS. Forget about any OC on latest Ryzen specially for x3D models that are OC restricted, just careful settings and temperature control are needed.
You didn't say which CPU cooler you are going to use. It'spretty important for Ryzen to run as cool as possible. It's best ting you can do for it.
PSU. Make and model, not all have same power as declared and"Gold" means nothing for it's quality. PSU ATX3.1 standard is recommended for 4080 as they have proper power connector without use of adapters.

Last edited:

gkko

Distinguished
May 28, 2013
Only changes are in chipset and it's features. All " X" MBs have VRM good enough for any Ryzen CPU and it's OC.
B650MBs tend to have VRM limited to 180w but not the premium ones like that Strix. That comes into play onlywith 16 core CPUs. 7800x3D uses barelyhalf that power.
Some say that RAM compatibility and handling is better in x870 MBs but that's most probably because of 9000 series CPU and it's IMC.
That ASrock may be more future proof, so if price is right...... I would bet on it.
PS. Forget about any OC on latest Ryzen specially for x3D models that are OC restricted, just careful settings and temperature control are needed.
You didn't say which CPU cooler you are going to use. It'spretty important for Ryzen to run as cool as possible. It's best ting you can do for it.
PSU. Make and model, not all have same power as declared and"Gold" means nothing for it's quality. PSU ATX3.1 standard is recommended for 4080 as they have proper power connector without use of adapters.
Hey,

I have currently a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE , which handles a 13600k pretty well atm. I wasn't thinking to replace it.
On PSU i was looking for Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W probably on the cheaper side. What are the downsides of not having ATX 3.1?

Hey,

I have currently a Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE , which handles a 13600k pretty well atm. I wasn't thinking to replace it.
On PSU i was looking for Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W probably on the cheaper side. What are the downsides of not having

That cooler should do job good enough. 7800x3d TjMax is 89c before it would start throttling but 80c would be more than fine.
ATX3.1 standard not only brings proper connectors for newer and power hungry GPUs but it's also with digital controls for power and temperature/fan control.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/explo...-units/atx-30-vs-atx-31-whats-the-difference/