[SOLVED] Back chassis fan ramps up when tabbing OUT of a game.

Nemspy

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Hi everyone,

For the past couple of months I've had an issue where my back chassis fan ramps up extremely loud and fast in short bursts, almost always when I tab between windows our out of a game.

Recently I have been playing a lot of World of Warcraft classic when I run in windowed mode.

I can play for HOURS and not have my fans ramp up one single time.

The minute I tab out to look at something on the web my back fan goes into overdrive - it ramps up to full speed for about 2 seconds and then stops. Sometimes it does this several times over the next 30 seconds or so.

It doesn't matter if I've been in the game for 1 minute or six hours, it behaves this way -- and it's ONLY my back chassis fan that does it. The top one and all the internal fans seem fine.

My temperatures don't seem in any way alarming.

And of course now I am doing it and I can't make it happen..... but the issue will return as it always does.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've already tried double-checking my fan settings in bios and set them to standard, and I've checked the inside of my case for any dust issues.

Solution
Sharing my experience with you, similar to this situation.
I have Corsair SP120L fans connected to my motherboard, two in count (both purchased at the same time). Let us assume FAN1 goes to FAN_HEADER_1, so does FAN2 to FAN_HEADER_2 on the Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z370 Gaming-E.
Now, after 2 years of usage, my FAN1 started running abnormally. It speeds up of its own to it’s max speed 2435 RPM, and slows down of its own, while FAN2 sticks to the curves I chose (in ASUS AI Suite III). I interchanged the headers and then booted my PC. The FAN1 was misbehaving both in BIOS and while running OS.
I replaced FAN1 with spare FAN3 (also...

prateek320i

Honorable
Nov 24, 2017
I have Corsair SP120L fans connected to my motherboard, two in count (both purchased at the same time). Let us assume FAN1 goes to FAN_HEADER_1, so does FAN2 to FAN_HEADER_2 on the Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z370 Gaming-E.
Now, after 2 years of usage, my FAN1 started running abnormally. It speeds up of its own to it’s max speed 2435 RPM, and slows down of its own, while FAN2 sticks to the curves I chose (in ASUS AI Suite III). I interchanged the headers and then booted my PC. The FAN1 was misbehaving both in BIOS and while running OS.
I replaced FAN1 with spare FAN3 (also SL120L, came with my new AIO), and FAN3 was running all fine.
To verify this, I ran the FAN1 to another board, the result didn’t change.
My FAN1 is out of warranty period, I can’t RMA it, so I kept it out of use.

Now talking about your, reboot into BIOS again and see if it does the same while in BIOS.

Solution

Nemspy

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
I replaced FAN1 with spare FAN3 (also SL120L, came with my new AIO), and FAN3 was running all fine.
To verify this, I ran the FAN1 to another board, the result didn’t change.
My FAN1 is out of warranty period, I can’t RMA it, so I kept it out of use.

Now talking about your, reboot into BIOS again and see if it does the same while in BIOS.

Just about to go to bed when I saw this reply. Will mentally process it tomorrow.

Interestingly, I am running a Z370 Gaming-H