[SOLVED] Back panel audio working on right speaker and front panel on the left speaker

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hi. My PSU failed a couple of days ago. And when it did i heard a loud buzz on the speaker. Noe I got a new PSU. And everything works ok. But my speakers and headphones (tested both , also working while connected to phone) only work on the right channel while connected to the back panel Jack. And when connected to the front one only the left is working. Also their volume is a bit low compared to when working. Could the motherboard audio be broken? And what fixes you guys recommend me.

Mobo: asrock 960gm-vgs3 fx

Solution
It is possible that your on-board audio adapter was damaged by the failed PSU, or even by receiving a static shock while plugging/unplugging devices.

You can disable the on-board audio in your BIOS and use a stand-alone sound card.

That system is pretty old. It might be time to think about modernizing your rig.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It is possible that your on-board audio adapter was damaged by the failed PSU, or even by receiving a static shock while plugging/unplugging devices.

You can disable the on-board audio in your BIOS and use a stand-alone sound card.

That system is pretty old. It might be time to think about modernizing your rig.

Solution

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Yeah. I know. I'm already on the way for a more modern build next year. I'll need this PC too. I'm trying to fix the problem just for the time to watch TV shows on it or youtube.
If i add a pci sound card i'll choke the GPU's airflow like crazy. the only slot left is just at where the GPU's fans finish.
Are those external USB to 3.5jack working? My mic also doesn't do nothing. So that jack is toasted too.
Thanks.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Sure, USB adapters can work in a pinch. I wouldn't expect great quality, but should work.

What OS do you have installed on this rig?

For example: https://www.amazon.com/VENTION-External-Headphone-Microphone-Compatible/dp/B08LGPKFN5/
It's on windows 10 pro. I got some basic but ok'ish for me speakers. one small sub and 2 speakers. I dont need nothing fancy for them. Just to run as the mobo's that's it.
I was thinking about the Orico SKT3. Right now i cranked the volume at 100% and put the system on mono for the time being. But i hear some extra static. I'll do till the sound card arrives.

raptor2012rom

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Update: USB sound card working like a charm. Both mic and speakers connected to Orico SKT3 working perfectly. Thanks.
Update 2: While the sound card is working great. The sound quality dropped a little. Still acceptable but wasn't as before. For sure is related that the sound card that I chose only outputs dvd quality in audio settings (16 bit 48000hz) vs studio quality before. So take that in consideration if you have HQ speakers. It'll do for now but i'll change it in the future.