Question Back panel USB-ports and their controllers ?

Jan 29, 2023
Long story short: I posted about my PC freezing/crashing recently here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-freezing-volmgr-162.3794717/#post-22927737. I thought I had fixed the problem, but turns out I only made the freezes way less frequent. Now, instead of freezing twice a day, it has only happened twice in two weeks. I "fixed" it by using fewer USB- ports on the back panel, two ports instead of the previous four. The motherboard I have is Gigabyte z390m, which has four USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports and one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A port in the back panel.

So I'm wondering what the function of the crashing would be here. Could anyone knowledgeable educate me how these ports and their controllers work and what the possible cause could be? I couldn't find much about it in the motherboard's manual.

Edit: To be more specific about the freezes, it seems like the computer cuts all the communication with the devices connected to it. They don't receive power if replugged. CPU, GPU and all the case fans keep on running.

Last edited:
Long story short: I posted about my PC freezing/crashing recently here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-freezing-volmgr-162.3794717/#post-22927737. I thought I had fixed the problem, but turns out I only made the freezes way less frequent. Now, instead of freezing twice a day, it has only happened twice in two weeks. I "fixed" it by using fewer USB- ports on the back panel, two ports instead of the previous four. The motherboard I have is Gigabyte z390m, which has four USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports and one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A port in the back panel.

So I'm wondering what the function of the crashing would be here. Could anyone knowledgeable educate me how these ports and their controllers work and what the possible cause could be? I couldn't find much about it in the motherboard's manual and I'm very interested and eager to learn more about this.

Edit: To be more specific about the freezes, it seems like the computer cuts all the communication with the devices connected to it. They don't receive power if replugged. CPU, GPU and all the case fans keep on running.
Precisely what do you have plugged into the 2 usb ports and how much power are they drawing?

Reactions: opa9696

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? F6? After you'd verified that the BIOS was updated successfully, did you clear the CMOS to wipe all settings off the board? As for the OS, you're left with performing a clean install of the OS(format and then install the OS) after fabricating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Please be wary to back up any and/or all mission critical content onto a removable drive before formatiing.

Once you've installed the OS, manually install all relevant drivers for your motherboard in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, after you've sourced the drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's support site.

Jan 29, 2023
Precisely what do you have plugged into the 2 usb ports and how much power are they drawing?
Right now I have a Glorious Model O gaming mouse and a generic Dell keyboard. I'm not aware the amount of the power draw, is there a way to find it out? All the devices I have worked fine on my previous PCs.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwd999
Jan 29, 2023
How old is the PSU in your build? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? F6? After you'd verified that the BIOS was updated successfully, did you clear the CMOS to wipe all settings off the board? As for the OS, you're left with performing a clean install of the OS(format and then install the OS) after fabricating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Please be wary to back up any and/or all mission critical content onto a removable drive before formatiing.

Once you've installed the OS, manually install all relevant drivers for your motherboard in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, after you've sourced the drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's support site.
PSU is brand new. BIOS is the newest f6. I have cleared CMOS. I have installed both Win 10 and 11 recently on two different SSDs. I have updated the drivers through device manager manually but not from the manufacturers website. Do you think that would make a difference?

Lutfij

Titan
I have updated the drivers through device manager manually but not from the manufacturers website. Do you think that would make a difference?
Yes. In fact the route I mentioned is more simpler, just that you need to have the drivers physically present on your system(for future posterity's sake).

I have installed both Win 10 and 11 recently on two different SSDs.
So this is a dual boot system? If so, what order did you install the OSes? 10 and then 11 or 11 and then 10?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023
I have updated the drivers through device manager manually but not from the manufacturers website. Do you think that would make a difference?
Yes. In fact the route I mentioned is more simpler, just that you need to have the drivers physically present on your system(for future posterities sake).

I have installed both Win 10 and 11 recently on two different SSDs.
So this is a dual boot system? If so, what order did you install the OSes? 10 and then 11 or 11 and then 10?
I first had Win 11 installed, then installed Win 10 instead on a new SSD when troubleshooting the system. It's not a dual boot system.