Question Back screen

jack.mckenzie199

Commendable
Feb 25, 2018
Sorry for the title lacking information. I couldn't really figure out what else to add.

About two/three days ago after about 12 hours of activity while watching a video on youtube the displays for my computer turned off and the case fans immediately went to full speed (not the GPU fans). I was still able to hear sound and it appeared that the computer was running; so I held down the power to force restart it and rebooted it, then checked the performance and found that all parts were running normally, at normal temps - so I updated the graphics drivers and just hoped it would go away.
Today after about the same amount of time, while watching another youtube video the same thing happened. After a bit more investigation I found that if I launch anything that requires heavy graphics (such as a game) the same thing happens, though sometimes the fans won't boost to full speed. I tried lowering the graphics settings on the game to see if I could catch a spike in GPU temp, or something else and found that it was functional for a few minutes but would eventually crash when tabbing out with no clear indication of temp increase.

I'm not sure where to go from here; I've done some searches and I've seen that it could possibly be PSU cables (or the entire PSU) or possibly just the graphics card. Unfortunately I don't have any additional parts to test with, but I have ordered some new PSU cables which will be arriving soon. So I was just hoping to get a second opinion.

Also, if it helps the computer recently was upgraded with everything except the GPU, PSU and Storage being replaced, and those parts were purchased in 2017. Though it has worked without issue for the past 2 months.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950x
GPU: Aorus 1080ti xtreme
Motherboard: Asus rog strix x570-e
PSU: Corsair RM850x
RAM: 32gb (16gb x2) Gskill trident z neo 3600

Thanks!

ASK THE COMMUNITY