Back Up Image

videodood

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Hi there!! I have a small question about the backup image procedure.

I see the backup requires huge space to make a complete image of the whole drive.

My question is...I can I just make a back up image of the critical system files and leave out the rest of my program files, etc?

The important point is, during, a system recovering where the Windows 7 is reading the back up image, will it actually delete files that are already on the drive? For example will it delete the existing content of the drive while restoring it? Or just replace the files from the backup image?

Usually it's not my personal programs that are causing the problems (or my personal videos, etc), just the windows and system files.

thanks a bunch

videodood

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I am aware that you can choose what folders to back up. However....first I just thought I'd try and back up the windows and systems files. But I didn't see the windows folder anywhere when I tried to browse for it. It wasn't listed where it normally is.

Secondly, what I was asking was, will the restoration of a backup image delete files that are not a part of the backup image or will it just replace files?

For example, 1. I do a backup image of system files only and exclude program files and documents, etc.
2. My computer crashes and I need to do a restore.
3. As I do the restoration process with the backup image, will it delete the whole drive and
replace it with only what is on the backup image? Or does it just replace the corresponding
content without deleting the whole drive (and my documents, programs, etc).

Thanks. I hope I was able to explain this well enough.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
An image file is exactly that, an IMAGE, meaning that when you restore it it will be exactly the same as when you made it.
From the Microsoft Help Files:

"What is a system image?

A system image is an exact copy of a drive. By default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard drive or computer ever stops working. When you restore your computer from a system image, it's a complete restoration; you can't choose individual items to restore, and all of your current programs, system settings, and files are replaced with the contents of the system image."

Jonmor's right - you either do an image backup, which by definition takes EVERYTHING, or you do a file backup which lets you select which files to copy.

An image backup can get you back to a working system if your system drive crashes, that's it's purpose. In most cases a file backup can't do that.

TRENDING THREADS