[SOLVED] Back up software

May 29, 2020
I'm adding an SSD to my system which only has a HDD. I plan to clean install windows on my ssd and format the hdd and use it as storage.
Is there an easy software to help me do it and retain all my data?

Solution
Well I kinda want to retain pretty much everything* from the HDD so do I just copy paste everything except like the program files onto an external back up and call it a day? Or is there something that might do this for me? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions!

*to be specific i got like videos, pictures, and a lot files, and they are all very cluttered
The recommended way to do this would be before you changed any drives or did a clean install.

Obtain an external HDD.
Find all the stuff you wish to keep, copy to that external.
Much easier to do now, while the system is running from that drive.
May 29, 2020
Ok so its Windows 10.
The ssd will be 500gb
Right now my hdd has 600gb of data on it but about 150gb is games which i can reinstall later.
My computer has been a bit sluggish lately but nothing shows up on anti virus so i thought doing a fresh install might fix some issues

USAFRet

Titan
Ok so its Windows 10.
The ssd will be 500gb
Right now my hdd has 600gb of data on it but about 150gb is games which i can reinstall later.
My computer has been a bit sluggish lately but nothing shows up on anti virus so i thought doing a fresh install might fix some issues
"been a bit sluggish lately"
Then a fresh install is recommended.

What data are you looking to retain? A clean install on the SSD will not delete anything from the HDD.

So, a fresh install on the SSD
Reconnect the HDD after that install is all up and running
Locate whatever personal docs you wish to retain, and copy to some other drive.
Wipe the HDD clean.

May 29, 2020
Well I kinda want to retain pretty much everything* from the HDD so do I just copy paste everything except like the program files onto an external back up and call it a day? Or is there something that might do this for me? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions!

*to be specific i got like videos, pictures, and a lot files, and they are all very cluttered

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan

The recommended way to do this would be before you changed any drives or did a clean install.

Obtain an external HDD.
Find all the stuff you wish to keep, copy to that external.
Much easier to do now, while the system is running from that drive.

Solution