News Backblaze Expects HDD Storage Costs to Hit One Cent per GB by 2025

Dec 13, 2022
What I'm waiting for is prices to come down and storage sizes to go up on 2.5" drives... I don't need 22TB and I don't need a noisy 3.5" drive right next to my bed keeping me awake at night. But it seems like 2.5" drives have been stuck at 5TB for some time now, and Black Friday prices were still above what I paid the last time I needed to add 5TB to my collection at the start of this year. Needless to say, I didn't buy any, but in a few weeks I'll have to start taking extraordinary measures to keep from running out of space.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
according to Backblaze's Andy Klein, the company's Principle Storage Cloud Storyteller.
Wow, they don't just have Cloud Storytellers, but Principal Cloud Storytellers!

...or, maybe that's not a spelling error, but he's actually a Story Teller about Cloud Principles?

🤣

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
they still serve and will continue to serve their purposes for cold or non-critical storage requirements due to their higher storage density compared to SSDs.
@Francisco Alexandre Pires , the main issue with using SSDs for cold storage is that if you leave a modern QLC SSD disconnected in a drawer, for a couple years, it'll lose its contents. HDDs have much better power-off data retention characteristics*.

I have an e-reader that I bought in 2019, meaning it probably uses TLC storage. I once left it turned off and unused for 6 months, and all of my books were gone, when I recharged it and turned it on again.

* For longevity, you still can't beat the highest-grade optical media.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
16TB drives going for $250 right now. That's 1.5 cents/GB. So this isn't that far fetched.
Eh, but if you click the arrow in the image area, to see the 3rd image, it seems to be asymptotically approaching $0.0133 / GB. And then there's inflation, that will affect new drives.

q76YieYfsFQ5YwjoXJqMrP.png