Backdoored Automatic Updates Amplify NotPetya's Destruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto-update... My Aetheros Lan driver is making my Windows 10 systems crash. Everytime I desinstall the driver, Windows 10 resinstall it back at every reboot. This nonsense needs to stop! I should be able to install the updates that I want since many are useless junk.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
My like of Windows 10 has been dying by the microsecond for the last six months. I'm, glad I have a legitimate pro edition disk of 7 still hanging around. That being said, all software or OS is vulnerable to this when the root vendor servers are not properly protected. Why corrupt a vulnerability in the masses when the source can be the target? Although convenient now, avoiding 10 and others is short sighted in relation to the true threat of this strategy. It doesn't matter what OS or software you use, if anything is left to auto-update you should be concerned.

FunSurfer

Distinguished
Companies that issue Auto Updates can create a "Checksum" to an update and send it through a second channel like an email. The installer will run the Checksum test before installing the update and if the result doesn't match the original the update is corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.