Backdoors Keep Appearing In Cisco's Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Really? A company with such massive market share is this egregiously incompetent and shady? All I can say is I hope they go under and no more cisco routers for me.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Very disappointing to hear about this. Security is increasingly becoming a primary driver in the selection of enterprise networking gear, and given that so much of what USED to make CISCO special has now become a commodity, they really don't have room for these sorts of mistakes.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Cisco seems to be working hard to obsolete themselves in a world that gets somewhat better at taking security seriously - Beside 99% of the IoT devices...

Jul 18, 2018
Wait until we discover backdoors in intel LAN/Wifi Chips themselves. just wait few years and you will see.

After the CPU and Cisco , next will come intel LAN , intel Gbit LAN , 10Gbit lan and AC Wifi chips.

I dont even think it is safe to make your own router/firewall any more , because the Spy reached the chips themselves , you will need to make your own chips which is impossible.

wirefire99

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
The evil 20 years ago. Manufacturer says to VAR, give me your customer data so we can give up better pricing. So you either comply or can't remain competitive. Then the manufacturer eventually takes the customer data and bypasses the VAR. VAR goes out of business anyway.... Today it is the same thing in a new market. take your applications and put them on the cloud, cloud has all your data. If someone offers the right price and the right "data breach" occurs someone can get all of your company data without you even knowing.

Aug 2, 2018
The Cisco Policy Suite bug is just a default password on a linux VM. You can mitigate it trivially with the 'passwd' command.

Status
Not open for further replies.