Backed up data on RAID 0, now can't access it.

eraser851

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Here's the scoop:

I backed up all my important files from my XP machine onto the RAID 0 I had setup.
Well, now that I've installed Vista, it won't let me access my RAID without formatting first.

How can i access my files without formatting?

I have two Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB HDDs

My motherboard is a DFI Lanparty UT CFX3200-DR Socket 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon Xpress 3200

Any help?

eraser851

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Both Harddrives show up in My Computer and Disk Management:

management.jpg

Computer.jpg

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I think you are screwed...

Might try re-installing your old OS, MB drivers, and raid drivers, see if the drives are then readable. Then back up to dvd... But vista handles raid quite a bit differently.

Good luck.

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Did you switch motherboards? If so, it's likely that they don't have the same RAID controller... If this has suddenly just happened... well... then I guess you need to look at your RAID settings in BIOS, as if you can see both individual disks of the array, the BIOS isn't doing what it should. Windows should only see one physical disk, not two.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Don't format, don't rebuild the RAID, etc., unless you're giving up on the data.

Did you install the RAID drivers under Vista? They should have been recognized afterwards, but could not be before.

eraser851

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
When I installed Vista, I didn't install the third party RAID drivers where I would've originally had to press F6 for XP.
When I had the OS built, the drives had the little yellow "!" in Device Management. I installed the drivers from clicking the "Update Driver Software" and got the drivers from the motherboard CD.

I did not change motherboards or any other hardware. Just installed Vista.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Maybe that wasn't enough -- remember that there were two drivers, one for SATA and one for RAID and both were needed. Maybe you just installed the SATA drivers in Vista.

eraser851

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
If it's any help, here are my BIOS settings:

bios1.jpg

bios2.jpg

I've tried enabling the RAID FUNCTION, but that doesn't fix it.
It looks like it'd work. The name of the RAID shows up in the BIOS, and when I boot up, but then it crashes and restarts.

I've tried all sorts of different configurations.

eraser851

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Maybe that wasn't enough -- remember that there were two drivers, one for SATA and one for RAID and both were needed. Maybe you just installed the SATA drivers in Vista.

So should I reinstall Vista and install the RAID drivers when I do?
I thought with Vista, you didn't need to do that.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I've tried enabling the RAID FUNCTION, but that doesn't fix it. I've tried all sorts of different configurations.

Why was the RAID function disabled? Unless this setting is for the Sil RAID controller and not the NV RAID controller that I presume you're trying to use, it needs to be enabled.

It doesn't look like Vista does this so differently that you don't need to install drivers. I guess it's possible, but I'd look at first enabling RAID at the BIOS level, and then re-installing the nVIDIA chipset / SATA/RAID drivers.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
I backed up all my important files from my XP machine onto the RAID 0 I had setup.

That is an oxymoron: nohing stored on RAID 0 can ever be considered "backed up". Correctly, you would describe anything on a RAID 0 array as "exposed to extreme danger of catastrophic loss" (as you have discovered).

"Backups" are those copies which appear on DVD, NAS storage, Tape, offsite Internet storage, or large, removeable HDDs.

eraser851

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

That is an oxymoron: nohing stored on RAID 0 can ever be considered "backed up". Correctly, you would describe anything on a RAID 0 array as "exposed to extreme danger of catastrophic loss" (as you have discovered).

"Backups" are those copies which appear on DVD, NAS storage, Tape, offsite Internet storage, or large, removeable HDDs.

Okay,
I saved all my music, photos, videos, Save Game files, bookmarks, installers, ISOs, etc., onto my RAID drive so I wouldn't lose it all when I formatted my Primary drive to install Vista.

eraser851

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
When you click on the drive in explorer what is your error message? Access Denied? If so take ownership of the drive.

When I click on the drive, it tells me that I need to format it in order to use.

eraser851

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
I'm guessing the only way I can fix this is to reinstall Vista and to be sure I install the RAID drivers with it.

Unless someone has an idea.

monkeymanuk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
If you have a spare IDE HD lying around then I would suggest the following.

Remove your newly installed Vista HD.

PLug in your spare drive and install XP on it. Don't forget F6 to install Raid drivers during setup.

XP should recognise your array correctly and show it in the list of destination drives. Select the spare drive as your destination and install windows normally.

Once XP is installed copy your data away safely and then consider changing your Raid 0 config. As another poster has already stated. Raid 0 and backup is a contradiction in terms.

XP pro would be the better option if possible as it will allow you to take ownership of the files if it is required without going into safe mode.

I have just last night gone through exactly this process to recover the data from a Raid 0 setup for a customer. I cannot understand why Dell would supply a system with Raid 0.

Hope you find this info helpful.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I'm guessing the only way I can fix this is to reinstall Vista and to be sure I install the RAID drivers with it.

Unless someone has an idea.

It's probably a driver issue -- have you tried re-installing the platform / SATA/RAID drivers? Perhaps (1) uninstall the existing devices/drivers that you added, (2) re-enable RAID in the BIOS, and then (3) re-install the platform/etc. drivers.

I don't have an NV RAID array in Vista at present, but the RAID drivers seem to be present. I probably installed them after the initial Vista installation. I'm pretty sure I didn't F6 them in. The nVIDIA storage RAID device is enabled when I have RAID enabled in the BIOS (either at the top level only, or on the top level + enabled for SATA slots (although no drives are installed in those slots).

Also, you should be able to see the RAID array at the BIOS level. If you can't, then something's wrong there.

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
If it's any help, here are my BIOS settings:

bios1.jpg

bios2.jpg

I've tried enabling the RAID FUNCTION, but that doesn't fix it.
It looks like it'd work. The name of the RAID shows up in the BIOS, and when I boot up, but then it crashes and restarts.

I've tried all sorts of different configurations.

Well... disabling RAID is not really gonna help much, is it?

I've read in many forums now that Intel haven't released a RAID driver for Vista that works with the ICH8R southbridge... If that's what you've got on you board, then yout options are either back to XP or normal disks, instead of RAID.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005

Okay,
I saved all my music, photos, videos, Save Game files, bookmarks, installers, ISOs, etc., onto my RAID drive so I wouldn't lose it all when I formatted my Primary drive to install Vista.[/quote]

wow, you're royally screwed. RAID is excellent for a fault tolerant storage and backups, IF you use THE RIGHT RAID LEVEL!

YOU didn't do your research and used the WRONG raid level, RAID 0 's only advantage is speed, pure and simple. it is NOT fault tolerant whatsoever and is generally controller specific, meaning you can't just up and move a raid 0 setup from one computer to another one. plus, if you lose one of the drives the entire array is hosed. lost. gone. bye bye.

i have several raid setups, i have raid 0 for running my games since it's faster, raid 1 for safety and backups, and raid 5 for fault tolerance and big file server.

never put anything you can't afford to lose on a raid 0

d'oh

Valis

my only advice is to go back to xp and pray.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
See if you can "Uninstall Vista".

If have not tested a Vista Upgarde, but I know with XP upgrades I could quickly revert to the prior OS via "add/remove programs".

The update process actually saved the previous setup of Windows entirely intact. I did this for one customer who found out too late that his key software did not run under XP.

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
If you have a spare IDE HD lying around then I would suggest the following.

Remove your newly installed Vista HD.

PLug in your spare drive and install XP on it. Don't forget F6 to install Raid drivers during setup.

XP should recognise your array correctly and show it in the list of destination drives. Select the spare drive as your destination and install windows normally.

Once XP is installed copy your data away safely and then consider changing your Raid 0 config. As another poster has already stated. Raid 0 and backup is a contradiction in terms.

XP pro would be the better option if possible as it will allow you to take ownership of the files if it is required without going into safe mode.

Hope you find this info helpful.

as a computer technician that works for a company that does data recovery on a daily basis (i mean from DEAD harddrives... electronic and mechanical) follow his advice... it's pure brilliance...

to clear things up, and add a few steps:

1.) take out the vista o/s drive
2.) install spare drive with windows XP (preferrably xp pro... for file permission reasons)
3.) reinstall sata/raid drivers
4.) XP will recognize the raid setup once you're in
5.) once the raid is recognized, install the VISTA DRIVE as a SLAVE and DON'T BOOT FROM IT
6.) boot into the XP O/S
7.) access the RAID and migrate the data from the RAID to the VISTA DRIVE in an easy to locate folder
-- if this fails and says 'access is denied' you need to strip the permissions and take ownership of the files/folders
-- if you only have XP home, search google for programs that can do this for you..
8.) once the data is copied to the VISTA drive, turn the computer off, take out the XP harddrive, boot into VISTA and check your data!!!
9.) once this has been accomplished, format your RAID and consider RAID1 instead (RAID = Redundant Array of Independant Disks... there's nothing REDUNDANT about RAID0 except the hassle of fixing it when it goes down)
10.) Get your new REAL RAID going and smile as you accomplished a very difficult techy task :)

Cheers -= Mark =-