Question Backing up laptop is not working, or USB port is not working ?

May 28, 2024
Laptop model: Lenovo Legion Slim 5 16APH8

Laptop specs:
  • Windows 11, latest update
  • VeeamAgent for Windows_6.1.2.134
  • Using a Sabrent USB 3.1 Enclosure for NVMe PCIe M KEY M.2 SSD
  • SSD I am using as the external backup drive is a Samsung 970 EVO plus 500gb NVMe M.2
My Situation:
  • I have ensured that both the SSD and Enclosure work properly by testing the exact same process I am trying to do on my Lenovo Legion on my Lenovo ThinkPad.
  • On my Lenovo legion i have ensured that Windows will not sleep USB ports.
  • Noticed that when attempting to back up or create Veeam Recovery media my External SSD usage spiked to 100% though read and write speed remain at zero or only small jumps to kbps.
  • The Legion laptop is unable to quickly format the external SSD. In fact it is unable to complete the process. I thought this meant the SSD was dead but while when connected to my ThinkPad, my ThinkPad quickly formats the external SSD
Some Error codes thrown by Veeam Agent:

• EFI system partition (disk 0) (260.0 MB) 1024.0 KB read at 1 MB/s
  • Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Skipped arguments: [EmulatedDiskSpec>]; Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Failed to write data to the file [E:\VeeamBackup\Jobl\Jobl2024-05-28T130431.vbk]. Cannot handle notification about a written block. Failed to download disk 'ff0ab2d5-2dcf-4328-b96d-c71b4ba9cfae'
  • Unable to perform threshold check for location "E:\VeeamBackup\": failed to query backup repository disk space
  • Error: Failed to save backup meta to 'E:\VeeamBackup\Jobl\Jobl.vbm'. The system cannot find the path specified. CreateDirectory(E:) function call failed. Cannot create folder. Folder path: [E:]. Cannot create folder. Folder path: [E:\VeeamBackup]. Cannot create folder. Folder path: [E:\VeeamBackup\Jobl]
  • Error Copying data to USB disk Error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
Attempts at Troubleshooting:

C:\Windows\System32>chkdsk D:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is New Volume.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
256 file records processed.
File verification completed.
Phase duration (File record verification): 5.16 milliseconds.
0 large file records processed.
Phase duration (Orphan file record recovery): 0.21 milliseconds.
0 bad file records processed.
Phase duration (Bad file record checking): 0.19 milliseconds.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
278 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
Phase duration (Index verification): 1.32 milliseconds.
0 unindexed files scanned.
Phase duration (Orphan reconnection): 0.41 milliseconds.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
Phase duration (Orphan recovery to lost and found): 1.68 milliseconds.
0 reparse records processed.
0 reparse records processed.
Phase duration (Reparse point and Object ID verification): 0.90 milliseconds.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
Phase duration (Security descriptor verification): 1.58 milliseconds.
11 data files processed.
Phase duration (Data attribute verification): 0.48 milliseconds.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

488383487 KB total disk space.
24440228 KB in 8 files.
72 KB in 13 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
81115 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
463862072 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
122095871 total allocation units on disk.
115965518 allocation units available on disk.
Total duration: 12.33 milliseconds (12 ms).

rich text editor image

I am at a loss. I have important files I want to back up and this is the only way I can do so. Could anyone take a look and offer some possible solutions? I would really appreciate it.

Additional quick notes since I am exhausted from dealing with this the entire day. Sorry if they arent entirely cohesive.

When connecting the drive to another computer it is easily able to read and write data.

The USB cable is good, i know that for sure.

Though the USB port on the legion might be the issue. I dont see why it is only affecting the nvme enclosure. Becuase the usb ports work fine with everything else.

boohoo2u

Prominent
Mar 18, 2023
Is your laptop plugged in and powered on while connected to the external SSD? My lenovo laptop seems to struggle with one of my usb sticks unless the laptop is currently powered.

Alternatively, have you updated the bios, drivers etc all to the newest versions?

May 28, 2024
Is your laptop plugged in and powered on while connected to the external SSD? My lenovo laptop seems to struggle with one of my usb sticks unless the laptop is currently powered.

Alternatively, have you updated the bios, drivers etc all to the newest versions?
ill try and update the bios. drivers are up to date and yes my laptop is plugged in.

May 28, 2024

it did not work :/