[SOLVED] Backing up Windows Photo Gallery

Jan 9, 2021
I've spent hours searching this and tried it on my own...but here I am. I'm trying to add the Photos Gallery folder to my list of folders to be backed up on Windows 10 . I can locate the folder when I'm not in Backup this way: Windows C:>ProgramData>Microsoft>Windows>Start Menu>Programs, and the Photo Gallery folder is on the list of programs. Unfortunately, when I'm in Backup and I select "Add a folder" and try to locate the Photos Gallery folder then, it doesn't appear in the list of programs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

moderator: please only post once on a topic, and then edit it as needed

Last edited:
Solution
Okay, I didn't know there were 2 apps. I assume the Windows Photo Gallery is older as I can find links from 2015, and really old references to it in Vista. I used to use something called acdsee back in those days to track photos.

Did you look in C:\Users\____\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery\Original Images
(I assume the underlined folder is where you put your user name
https://superuser.com/questions/904...ving-original-images-in-windows-photo-gallery

I don't find any other address, the folder for Windows live gallery might also be found at this level of the folders - C:\Users\____\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ but it may not exist anymore in 10, depends how long your backup...
Jan 9, 2021
Thank you for the reply. I have a lot of pics that are in the Photos Gallery, but not in the Pictures folder. Are all of the Photos Gallery pics normally in the Pictures folder?

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you open the Photos app, and go to Settings by clicking the 3 little dots on toolbar, it shows you under Sources what folders it is getting the pictures from. I don't think it adds any others.
I assume that is the app you are talking about?

Jan 9, 2021
If you open the Photos app, and go to Settings by clicking the 3 little dots on toolbar, it shows you under Sources what folders it is getting the pictures from. I don't think it adds any others.
I assume that is the app you are talking about?
I was actually talking about the Windows Photo Gallery not the Photos App, although backing up my pics from the Photos App is also on my to-do list. Thank you for the instructions on how to find the source folders, that helped a ton! Unfortunately, of the 4 source folders, I can only locate 3 of them. I have 1 MIA folder, I've searched for it with no luck. I went to File Explorer Options and selected 'show hidden files, folders and drives'. Still no luck. If you can help me to find the lost folder, that would be awesome!
For all of my pics in the Windows Photo Gallery, I think I'll just copy them to a folder that I can add to my backup list.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Okay, I didn't know there were 2 apps. I assume the Windows Photo Gallery is older as I can find links from 2015, and really old references to it in Vista. I used to use something called acdsee back in those days to track photos.

Did you look in C:\Users\____\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery\Original Images
(I assume the underlined folder is where you put your user name
https://superuser.com/questions/904...ving-original-images-in-windows-photo-gallery

I don't find any other address, the folder for Windows live gallery might also be found at this level of the folders - C:\Users\____\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ but it may not exist anymore in 10, depends how long your backup history goes.

Solution