Question Backlight bleed - very common or am I just unlucky?

evotz

Prominent
Jun 21, 2019
So I've recently bought two new monitors - nothing fancy because I don't really require anything fancy.

Both of the monitors seem to be struck with horrible backlight bleed - at least in my opinion. I have an older 19" monitor that I've been using - it's got a couple of small chips in the screen, not really that noticeable - but I thought I'd try replacing it with a new monitor. But each time, I just can't use them because of the backlight bleed.

I work in Linux a lot and usually have a lot of xterms opened up, which uses a black background, so maybe it's just more pronounced for me. But still the currentl 19" monitor doesn't show any signs of backlight bleed.

I guess my question is, is backlight bleed just really that prevalent? What are the odds that I would get two monitors with backlight bleed? Is there something I need to do to try and fix it?

The first monitor I ordered online and getting it RMA'd was a bit of a hassle. This latest one I got from the local Office Depot, so it should be easy to return. But what are the odds of a replacement monitor also having backlight bleed? Seems to be pretty good given my recent track record.

Am I expecting too much from sub $100 monitors? I really don't do anything that I would think would require a fancy monitor.