Question Backlight bleeding question

Riken664

Prominent
Apr 9, 2021
Hey guys,
So, I'm aware that most IPS panels, especially from under 500$ will suffer from some backlight bleeding and/or ips glow. The thing is that I just bought my second ips display and I can't really tell if the amount of bleeding I see Is considered acceptable, the previous one is around 6 years old and doesn't seem to show blb, only some minor color temperature variation. I Know that the general rule is, that if it doesn't bother me with everyday use then it's not worth returning, and sure enough, I only notice it during the 'BLB tests' and pretty much nowhere else. However, I still have about 2 weeks during which I could just return it and get my money back no questions asked. So I'm wondering If I should just keep playing this lottery or is this BLB not so bad in your opinion? The monitor in question is MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD.

Here are the pics: View: https://imgur.com/a/ufdhrAT

I think it goes without saying that photos magnify this problem 10 fold, but there's one spot on the upper edge slightly to the left that is actually pretty easily visible in person with full black screen.

EDIT: More pictures with ISO set to reflect my perception as close as possible

View: https://imgur.com/a/dpjRWz4

Last edited:
It's not that relatively bad and as long as it doesn't bother you keep it, playing the lottery is honestly not worth the hassle as well as the monitors your return. Also, if you bought them off amazon it's most likely it'll go towards more ewaste as they either just lump it with "returned items" to be resold at cheaper bulk costs.

Riken664

Prominent
Apr 9, 2021
It's not that relatively bad and as long as it doesn't bother you keep it, playing the lottery is honestly not worth the hassle as well as the monitors your return. Also, if you bought them off amazon it's most likely it'll go towards more ewaste as they either just lump it with "returned items" to be resold at cheaper bulk costs.

I bought it from a local shop in poland and I can't really find any information as to what they do with returned items, but it's probably not much different from Amazon.
It's not really a big hassle for me to return it, since I picked it up from a local point close to my house, but I can't really find any concrete information about my chances of getting a new panel without BLB. Most people report that they always get one that's a little better or worse, but never completely free from the issue. But at the same time, some people claim that after enough returns, 2-4, they were able to get one without BLB, never seen any pictures though.

Last edited:

Riken664

Prominent
Apr 9, 2021
If anyone ever stumbles upon this thread, here's the rest of the story.
I returned the monitor and picked up the same model from different retailer not long after. Backlight bleeding and ips glow, were the same or even worse, to top it all off, it had one stuck pixel in the middle. If that wasn't enough, something else became very apparent to me, and it's that the side edges of the panel are noticeably darker than the middle of the screen; effect was so strong that it was easily visible even in software with generally dark interface, like Photoshop.

After that, I RMA'd it and gave up on that model. Maybe some of you will have batter luck, but take from my story what you will, good luck.