Backlight issues which go away with warm weather.

dolokhov

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
During the winter, we had issues with our TV backlight - sometimes, when we first turned it on, the TV would blink out and go black. Sometimes only part of the backlight would go out or flutter.

I could see the TV was still functioning by using a flashlight to see movement on the panel. Audio was still fine.

It peaked during the coldest part of the winter. The basement here in Canada get quite cold. Now that temps are rising, never any issues.

Any thoughts on what parts could be affected, and if there is any way I could help it out? Should I be checking if that outlet itself is the problem?

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that something is contracting when cold and causes a loss of connectivity.

Once the TV manages to turn on and stay on( and thus warm) did the blink outs stop?

The problem could be in the outlet but the TV would most likely either be fully on or fully off.

Not in some interim no backlight state.

Where/how is the TV mounted? Maybe temporarily moving the TV to a generally warmer part of the basement would help.

Away from possible drafts and to a "warmer" wall or location.

I would expect that the TV would need to go in for servicing to identify and repair the faulty component or connection.

Very unlikely that a DIY fix is viable. Any warranty left?